Chapter 8

I'm currently contemplating what I would have to go through to run back home without having  arrest warrants on my head. All the little hopes I had in doing something great in this academy all jumped out the window the second I came in contact with a royal. 

Why in the world, out of all the upperclassmen did he have to be the one in our carriage? Or was it all planned? If I actually did have abilities the last thing I wanted was for all these people in the academy or the court to find out. 

I slump into the plush covers that are draped over the bed I am in. The room I was given was pretty small but it looked aesthetically pleasing. I was hoping to share with one of my classmates so I wasn't lost in this whole process. But of course the management refused when I made the request. 

I peer at the room once more. There is a small window in front of the wooden desk which is filled with various course books and a rule book of this academy. I'm able to see the view of a forest, which I guess is nice but also will creep me out in the night. The floor is carpeted in some caramel smooth plant like material which absorbs moisture but is fuzzy at the same time. 

It is around 7 pm and on my schedule it shows we all have to meet in Kilian hall at 8. I hop off of the bed and open the drawers in which we are supposed to keep all our belongings. 

A pale grey uniform lies inside covered in shimmery dust. I look back at the paper and it says we should be dressed in our uniform. 

It consists of a short pleated grey skirt that would be a few inches above my knees, a v-neck white blouse that comes to my hips, around knee-length grey socks, white clips that go in hair, a silver chain that would fall in between my chest and a wool grey sweater which is thankfully full sleeves and has the academy logo on the top right.

 But there are no leggings! How was I supposed to only wear this without a fluffy jacket in this freezing weather? 

The sheet specifically said we couldn't add anything else to our uniform as it could tamper with our exams or training. This was just going to be great. I would be sent home before I even started by getting hypothermia. But that would be a good thing right?

Without wasting more time, I run towards the bathroom to take a quick shower. The hot water scorches my skin and leaves pink marks but at least I feel warm. 

I  yank on my uniform and put my hair up into a Dutch bun as I still have time. I throw on the ID they gave me which already has my details on face plastered over it. 

Looking around my room, I make sure everything is put away and then slip into my black boots. I have 20 minutes left so I can look for everyone else and hopefully be at that hall on time. The last thing I want to do now is make these people have their attention on me for a negative or positive reason. 

I lock the door behind me and slip the key into my ID pouch. I didn't carry a purse with me as maybe you weren't allowed to? 

I look at the door next to mine and Lav's name is plastered outside of it. I knock quietly and a few seconds pass before she opens. She is in her her uniform but her face looks like she hasn't slept in ages. And her once brown hair is streaked with pink highlights. 

She must see my confused expression and sighs. 

"It just happened! I was organizing all of my things and I literally slipped and fell and the next thing I know, when I wake up is that my hair is like this! Oh and that I feel absolutely like shit."

"Well clearly you now know that there definitely is something going in inside of you!" I say with a humorous tone.

Lav doesn't take it and goes deeper into her room to retrieve a few things before coming out.

"Do you think I should cover it though? What if they decide to hold me back or something after knowing that I have something similar to their people? You know.. To be on the safer side?" 

I first look around to see if anyone is listening and then respond. 

"I sure do think it would be a good idea for you to hide it. But... That color is not something that wants to be hidden with your brown hair, Lav." 

"Well about that. I do have some oils that could darken my hair. It's worth a shot!"

She quickly takes out her key and then goes back into her room. 

I run my hands up and down my arm to stay warm. Couldn't they at least make the uniform thicker if we weren't allowed to wear anything else?

A while later she comes back out and I see her oils already doing the magic. Her uniform is the same as mine but her ID color is green while mine is black. She has her hair up in a messy bun which on her situation was a smart idea. 

"I wonder where all the others are. I checked the names of the rest of the room a while ago cuz I got bored and they either don't have a name tag or I don't recognize it."

"Well that's weird. Are they trying to isolate us or something?"

"I guess so? I wonder where Luca is."

"Me too. I hope he's okay." 

"Same." 

I take the map, Lav offers me and stare at if before directing the both of us towards the hall.