LARP And The Real Girl

Dean was driving while I was reading some sheets of paper in the passenger seat, Ben was sitting in the backseat. "You okay, honey?" Dean asked me. "We have the most powerful weapon we've ever had against demons, and we can't find a way to use it." I said. "Yeah, well, Kevin's on it. And when he finds something, he'll call. So we wait." Dean said and I sighed just as Ben's phone rings.

"Kevin, what do you got?" Ben asked then he furrows his brow and gives a small smile. "Garth. Hey. Really? Okay. Uh, yeah. Thanks, man." Ben said then he hangs up and looks up at us. "So, uh, Garth has a case for us." Ben said. "Really? What's the deal?" Dean asked. "Uh, well, it's close – Farmington Hills, Michigan. Dude got ripped limb from limb inside his locked apartment." Ben explained.

"That's not good." Dean said. "Working a case. As long as we're waiting on Kevin, that'll be our fun." I said.

Later, we come up to an apartment and show FBI badges to an officer at the door, and approach a Sheriff. "Sheriff. Special Agent Taggart. These are my partners, Special Agent Rosewood and Special Agent Foley." I introduced. "FBI? You guys are quick. Haven't even got the body out yet." the Sheriff said.

"Well, the FBI is all work...no play." Dean said as he gives me a look and I sighed at this. "You know, why don't you give me the tour while my partners looks around?" I said to the Sheriff. "I work better on my own." Dean grumbles and I give him a side-eye while the Sheriff shrugs. "Your world, Agent. Follow me." the sheriff said and I follow him while Dean and Ben stay in the kitchen area.

The Sheriff takes me into the victim's bedroom, where his torso is still on the bed under the sheet, but the sheet is flat against the mattress where his arms and legs should be. The walls were stained with blood. "Vic's name was Ed Nelson, 31 years old, an insurance-claim adjuster. He lived alone, which was a real shocker, considering his place is full of toys." the sheriff informs me.

"So what happened?" I asked as I see one of Ed's legs, covered with a cloth, on the floor with a pool of blood around it. "No sign of forced entry. Near as we can tell, he was tied up and pulled apart. Died of the shock or massive blood loss. Dealer's choice on that one." the Sheriff said and I noticed an open bag with some chains inside.

"So what about these chains?" I asked. "That's actually chain mail." the sheriff said and I give him a confused but curious look. "Seriously?" I asked and the Sheriff chuckles. "Yeah. We did find clear rope-burn marks on his wrists and ankles." he said and I kneel down to one of Ed's arms on the floor. I pull back the bloodstained cloth and see a black tree symbol on it.

"Huh. So, anything...missing from the body?" I asked. "You mean aside from the arms and legs? Uh...nope. All there – twig and berries, too." replied the Sheriff. "What about the neighbors? Did they hear anything weird?" I asked him. "Uh, neighbor downstairs said she got woke up in the middle of the night by the sound of horses stomping their feet and galloping. We didn't find any hoof prints. She probably heard a TV or was having a bad dream or she was high as balls." the sheriff said as I look over Ed's body.

"Fortunately, we got a real lead off his cell phone." The sheriff said then we walk walk back into the main room and the he looks at his notebook. "According to the phone records, Ed's last call was from a guy called Lance Jacobsen..." the sheriff said as Dean and Ben met up with us. I give them a questioning look and both of them shake their heads.

"...an accountant, also 30s, also lives alone." the sheriff said. "How is he a lead?" I asked him. "The two of them talked together for 15 minutes, and then Lance sent Ed here all kinds of angry texts. Some of them were your typical threat stuff, but some were a little weird." the sheriff replied.

"Weird how?" Ben asked. "Like, uh..." the sheriff said then he refers to his notebook. You shall bleed for your crimes against us, followed by the emoticon of a skull. And, uh, this beauty – I am a mage. I will destroy you. These kids today with their texting and murder. My men just brought Lance into the station for questioning."