chapter 37

FLASHBACK

Y/n pov

After my father found out that Namjoon and I had called it quits, the atmosphere around the house became unbearable. He wouldn't stop talking about how I ruined the best thing I ever had. And, on top of that, Namjoon was back in town. I knew they had been seeing each other behind my back, but my father and I were borderline on cold war terms to exchange more than a good morning. That said, my birthday week couldn't have started on worst premises. It had been an awful month all around, between Jungkook being busy at the Jeon Corp and his father's health deteriorating, I had barely been able to see him. He even missed a lot of classes, too, but, at least, I could help him with that.
"You're a lifesaver, baby. The situation has been overwhelming, to say the least. I miss our carefree daily life. I miss you. I miss us." We were both on the verge of a mental breakdown.
"I miss you more." I sighed as I stared at his tired face rendered more visible from the lack of sleep.
"You will be able to make it to my birthday party, right?! Can't wait to officially introduce you to my family." I pouted at him.
"They're probably gonna hate me. At least, your sister can stand me a bit. But, your father, I'm not sure. He loves Namjoon as if he were his own son." He voiced his thoughts, feeling a bit downhearted.
"If it makes you feel any better, he loves Namjoon more than he loves me too, so... " I managed to make him chuckle.
"He'll get over it, don't worry. It's not like we were married, anyway." I rolled my eyes.
"Don't even say stuff like that. It makes my blood boil." Whenever the argument was Namjoon, he always tent to shut himself off.
"Let's not talk about him again, please. These past few weeks have been so exhausting." I sighed.
"How are you?" The only thing I wanted right now was to be near Jungkook and snuggle him in my arms until I made him forget everything bad that happened these past weeks.
"I don't know. I haven't even had the time to think about that. Right now, we need to find some investors in order to save the company. It's like all the bad things came pouring in all at once." He screamed, frustrated.
"I never thought the situation would be so bad. You told me there were big problems but I couldn't imagine the entity of the situation." I looked over at him, trying not to break down.
"I didn't know either. My dad collapsed in front of me the other day. I felt so helpless, not knowing what to do. I even tried to imagine what would I do when he'll be gone." He shut his eyes, holding back the tears.
"Shouldn't he be on bedrest?!" I asked.
"He shouldn't even be moving, for that matter. But the situation is so disastrous that he's trying to do everything he can to find a solution."
"Can I do anything to help you?" He shook his head.
"Just knowing that you're there for me is helping me a lot, trust me. You're the only one that's keeping me sane right now."
"I'm here for you, baby." I touched his face through the phone.
"I know." He tried to put on a smile, but it was so faint. It broke my heart.

JK pov

I was getting ready for Y/n birthday party when I heard a knock on the door, followed by the voice of the butler who was trying to catch his breath.
"Mr. Jungkook... Mr. Jungkook... !" I opened the door, and I understood immediately. I ran to my father's room. He had his oxygen mask on but was almost unconscious. My mother stared at me with a somber expression.
"I called the ambulance. We need to take him to the hospital right now." I loosened my tie, feeling suffocated. The ambulance arrived in a matter of minutes. Since only one person was allowed inside, I followed them with my car. On my way to the hospital, I tried to call Y/n several times, but the calls went straight into voice-mail.
"Damnit!" Then, I sent her a text. At least she wouldn't think I abandoned her on her birthday.

Y/n pov

"Y/n, are you ready?" My sister asked as she was putting on her heels.
"Yes, almost. I'm looking for my phone, have you seen it? I need to call Jungkook and let him know I'm on my way." My bedroom was a mess. If I lost myself in it, I wouldn't find me either.
"Y/n, you've been so distracted lately. Thank God your head is attached to your neck. Otherwise, you would have lost it." I made a face at her. She called my phone but it wasn't ringing.
"It's probably on mute, and we have to leave. You'll meet him there anyway. Call him from my phone, when we're in the car, okay. Let's not make dad wait. You're already on thin ice with him." She made a remark about the situation at home.
"His problem, not mine. If he loves Namjoon so much, they have my blessing." Min Ha started chuckling but gasped when our father showed up in front of us.
"I'm hoping we can finally leave?!" We followed him outside as we stared at each other without uttering a word.