Chapter 44

Torrey's POV:

Later that day, we were all taken to a private restaurant built by my father.

It was used for private meetings that my father never discussed. Meetings that were supposed to be secret.

Now... it's to celebrate the engagement. As time passes, I am getting closer to being legally bound to Liv.

I couldn't let her think that I liked her. Because I knew that whether I liked her or not, we would never be anything.

She is going to be my sister, whether I like it or not. She can now spend time with Maddy without worrying that I will intervene.

I'm done with everyone. Once Shawn graduates, I'm leaving. 6 more months.

We arrived at the restaurant, and I went inside with the others. I couldn't find Liv or Maddy anywhere. It was not like I was looking for them; it was simply an observation.

I hoped I didn't hurt, Liv. That was never my intention. I just wanted to be clear... and not boost her ego any more than it already was.

Something between us....

What makes her believe that we ever had anything between us? We only kissed like three times. And all of those times was not intentionally... it just happened.

She clearly does not like me... and I do not think I like her.

I am done with broken women.

I arrive at my seating arrangement and see that everyone has sat down. My gaze shifts to my father, who sits beside me. "I guess Matthew couldn't show up" I look around as my father sits beside me.

I notice Shawn talking to some of our third cousins. "This night is meant to be relaxing. I do not need your bickering tonight, okay," he said calmly, adjusting his posture.

Minutes passed as we all gathered for a meal. My eyes were fixed on my phone the entire time, but I could not help but notice a familiar giggle.

I glance up and around to see Liv and Maddy. Maddy was giggling bullshit into Liv's ear while smiling.

They were across from me, and the candle lamp blocked both my and their view of me.

It's like nothing changed. She didn't care.

I look at the glass full of wine and take a sip. "What did I say about drinking?" My father asked, pressing his hand against my arm.

I shrugged him off and kept drinking. I finished the glass and got up. I tap onto the glass. Everyone paused... and looked at me confused. Some eyes were filled with disgust, while others were filled with irritation.

"I would like to congratulate my father on finding his true love. Julian" I look over to her, who is holding his hand and smiling at me. My gaze returns to Chris, who looks at me with an awkward smile.

Standing there and seeing how his eyes were clouded with fear made me smile.

"Sad that you cheated on my mom before she died so Julian... watch out. He had a thing for college girls--" Before I could finish speaking, he slams his fist into the table and stands up.

I lean towards him as he stares at me. I look at his hands, which have turned into fists as he eyes me. "Honey," Julian whispered to him, softly smiling.

"You are no daughter of mine. You are a disgrace to the family name. I am going to give you a chance... to sit down and behave or I promise I'll—"

"You will do what?" Hit me?" I couldn't help but whisper. Maybe I was scared of how far he will go to teach me a lesson. He always had inhuman ways of teaching his children disobedience.

"It appears Torrey is not feeling... well. She will be leaving us early, unfortunately," he announced loudly enough for everyone to hear while maintaining eye contact with me.

I grip the glass, feeling the urge to slam it into his head. Everyone always sees me like the broken, prison bird.

I'm trying... I'm really trying but he keeps testing me. He keeps making me come back.

He wants me to be the person that makes him seem innocent. He made me this way. He made me hated, spied, targeted. He made me damaged.

I inhale my breathe and try to calm my emotions. Before I knew it, I felt someone grip onto my hand. I look over and see Liv.

"Put it down" she whispered as her eyes softened with a hint of fear. Here I am back again, as the trouble maker.

I grip the glass hard enough that it cracked against my palm. The sting of pain was satisfying. Like a wake up. I strike his cheek as he falls to the table, then walk over to him and continue punching him until my knuckles were covered in blood.

"TORREY" were the only words I could hear, but they became an echo. I feel someone dragging and slamming me against the wall. My eyes land on Shawn as his eyes were covered in red.

"TORREY STOP" his voice broke as his hands were griped against my shirt.

"Please" he begged again as my eyes trailed around as people were looking at me with fear.

I look back at Shawn as his eyes were the same. He was scared and I caused it.

I push him off me as his lips quiver. I could not watch as tears streamed down his eyes.

I step outside and feel the rain fall on me.

I stare at my palm, watching the wound bleed. I began to feel as if I could not breathe as I unbuttoned my shirt, my chest compressing against me.

I walk down the parking lot and begin to hear footsteps behind me. "TORREY" I heard Liv scream at me but I couldn't handle anyone right now.

I needed to leave. I walk down to my car and feel the sting get worse as I unlocked the door.

I head in and close the door. I could feel her stare as I started the car and drove as fast as possible.