Chapter nineteen

At times, they made you that cold and heartless
_salamatullah

Chapter nineteen

Hammad sent a text message to Haleem instantly the time he got to know kulthum's condition. Amma who was shocked to the extent had to call Hammad to know the proper condition of her daughter. she called and he picked up

“Assalamu alaikum…amma” Hammad said through the phone

“Hammad, what happened to my kulthum?”  Amma's voice was a crack

He went silent for a second or two and started to talk

“I am sorry to say but she had an accident and happened to hit her head so hard that she’s undergoing a tumor surgery as we speak” he spoke yet Amma couldn’t form a single word, she was broken and devastated, although she knew her daughter’s condition more than any other person on earth but still she the thought of brain tumor operation never comes to her mind.

“Amma are you there” hammad said

“Ya Hammad we are on our way so please stay by her side like always” haleem said as he quietly picked the phone on amma's lap while she was somewhat fragmented and ruptured.

Hammad who was with Jonathan in the car driving back home asked Haleem to make sure amma was safe and to comfort her stunningly.

The flight from katsina to Lagos wasn’t that long but to amma it felt like decades or more, her mind kept telling her that kulthum isn’t going to make it, that her only daughter is leaving her all by herself. She’d tear a bit and then wiped it away whilst in the contrary Haleem was comforting her, trying his best to see that she didn’t get a high blood pressure.

~•~

It was winter in Lagos, kulthum's VVIP room was warm, room heaters were literally on and the bakur Nadia burnt made the room more pleasant and irresistible. There was a flower pot by the window angle and also one across the bathroom entrance.

Nadia was nothing but a lucky charm to kulthum, she was by her side since the time she was brought out of the theater room. Hammad came back after sorting things out with his wife at home, he waited a bit before she was brought out of the operation room.

She was there lying like a dead, her head with a blue surgery cap and her mouth was hanged open with oxygen by it, she wasn’t breathing hard yet her chest was running slowly as it is. Hammad was behind witnessing the nurses strolling her on the stratum. He’d be a huge lier if he said that her condition wasn’t his concern, the pity look in his eyes made him recalled the source of the accident and with that he began to wipe away tears that weren’t told to roll.

Where is her family?” the word family made him stared at Nadia foolishly

“I know you are her husband but she definitely have a parent, right?” Nadia said regardless of how he’d feel or seemed

“They’re on their way” he bossily answered fixing his gaze on kulthum

Nadia nodded at him and stepped out to answer a call. Hammad dragged a stool by the open-topped box and sat. He dragged the duvet up to her clavicle and smiled at her disdain she was still unconscious.

“I am sorry I made you like this, I am so sorry that you had to go through so much because of me.” He sighed and looked down for a bit then brought back his gaze to her

“I know I hurt and wronged you but please find a spot in your heart to forgive me for I am a good for nothing husband” he crouched down again but literally sobbing this time around