12

Author's pov:

The words cut through his soul and left him like a hollow shell, just like every other time but he didn't show.
"Never let anyone see you at your lowest, Soobin. Cry infront of someone who'll never judge you for it, like me or Ma."

He, just like every other time remembered his big brother's words and let them soothe the ache spread across his chest. The words were like a reassuring head pat. Letting them linger for a bit, he gathered the courage to look at his step mother again.
He had nothing to say, nothing to defend himself with. Everything she said was true but it didn't make him lower his head in shame.
"Never blame yourself for the fights in this family. They are just weak people using you as an anchor to let their own hatred out."

Soobin was a child with a golden heart. He wanted his family to live like a happy one though the idea seemed too surreal after so much of trying. He didn't know what happened all those years ago. How did his mother came into the picture despite being a commoner? Why the king who was known to love his wife through and through had a child out of marriage? Why did the relationship of Jungkook and his mother deteriorated over the years? While Jungkook seemed to love his step mother....why? How?
All these questions bothered him, nagged at him.

While being in this chaos, Jungkook was his rock. He remembers his mother narrating his very first encounter with Jungkook.
"I was hesitant to take you to him but when I heard from a maid that he stayed outside the room all night while I was in labour, I had no doubts. But I did have many questions running in my mind. I walked through the hallways to get to his room and when I entered, I saw the little boy curled up on a large bed. I felt a strong urge to hold him too, just I was holding you. The room felt too cold and distant. It didn't look like a child resided in it. Neat and tidy, no toys laying around, no paper with drawings. He heard me walk inside and immediately got up. I was again hesitant to walk near him. All while I was in the palace, he never talked to me. I understood his dilemma. Poor child. But I would catch his eyeing me and my bump a lot. Anyway, when he walked closer, his eyes were glued to you, Soobin. The amount of gentleness he displayed while touching your cheek filled my heart with warmth. I bent down to let him have a better look. And for the first time, he talked to me. He said -"he's beautiful". I nodded along. Even though he was 10 years old, I wanted him to hold you. He cradled you in his tiny arms with so much love that I wanted to cry. Then he looked up at me and said something that made me ball my eyes out.

"Will you allow him to be my friend?"

"That day I finally understood the look in his eyes. The emotion he carried in those tiny innocent eyes wasn't resentment towards me, it was longing. He longed for someone to see through him. He had given up on his parents, so he looked my way when I came along."

"I know you hate me. I also know your reason is justified but it was father's last wish to see his family toget-"

"Well, he is gone. He isn't around to see it for himself. Furthermore, you aren't my family. A filthy commoner's blood runs down your veins. You're just like a wild cat trying to act like a tiger cub. Your real face cannot be hidden for too long before you yourself realise no matter what you do, you'll never be the royal prince of Busan.

A concubine's son. Thats what you are."
"You're my brother, Soobin. Never forget that."

Since the moment Jungkook left the palace, this was the first time Soobin actually longed for his presence. He did not want his words, he wanted the protective embrace of his brother to hide him away from the evil of the world.

"Your Majesty!" Both of them flinched at the sudden voice interrupting them. Turning around, they found the General clad in his uniform standing near the door.
"Its time for Prince Soobin to train."

Or maybe brother always made sure to have me protected even when he was oceans away.

***

Y/N's pov:

I could feel the nervousness ooze out of my body as I approached father. Soobin-shi was a few steps behind me but I could feel his strong presence.

Father has always been gentle with me. We did not have a very strong bond with a good foundation but he wasn't like other fathers who would verbally and physically abuse their daughters and remind them of the fact that it was a sin to be born as a woman. He was biased when it came between me and my brother but he loved me. I knew that. And that was enough for me.

After what happened with brother....he had grown protective over me. It was sad how it took my brother's horrible situation for him to put his feelings to action and actually show it to me that he loved me.

"F-Father." I called for him. He stopped digging the mud with the axe and turned around to look at me. His breathing was ragged and sweat covered him like a second skin as he eyed the man behind me with confusion.

"Oh! You're that man Y/N brought home. How are you son?" His eyes softened with recognition as he stepped forward to converse with Soobin-shi.

"I'm fine all thanks to your daughter." Father let out a proud laugh and patted his shoulder.

"Its good then. It was a little unsettling that you left abruptly. I thought she'll not let you leave for a week. She behaved very weirdly too." I internally winced at the honesty of this man and made sure to not look at the other at any cost. I'll want to disappear from his sight the moment I do." So? What brings you here?" Before I open my mouth to speak, Soobin beats me to it.

"Your daughter saved my life and I don't have anything to pay her with. I have no money on me right now but I do want to show my gratefulness for what she did." His eyes momentarily meets mine and I'm stunned to see the sincerity in them. He isn't lying, He is speaking his mind." So I want to help you in farming. Let me work for you for a few days."

There is silence for a while. I don't know why but the way this scene is being portrayed infront of me, the way he talks to my father with such respect, I feel like he is asking for my hand in marriage with such seriousness and sincerity. And the thought makes my heart race for some reason.

I could sense the hesitation from my father." This is the only way I'll be able to repay her. I don't like to keep favours. Let me do this. I'll be of some help to you as well."

Father let out a chuckle and again patted his shoulder." You really are a man of principles, I see. Then be my guest, but know this- I'm very dedicated to my work and you'll have to work the same hours as me. Will you be able to handle that?" I think he was trying to scare him into backing out before he even started. Maybe it was his way of finding out whether he was serious about this or not.

"I'll work more hours than you if you want me to. I'll not complain."

***

Author: Merry Christmas to all! 🎅🏼
It was a holiday today and I thought I'd be able to write a ch with more word count but studies happened😑. I'll try to write bigger chs from now on.

Btw, what are your thoughts on the story so far?