26

Author's pov:

Not only the crowd but Y/N too was taken aback by his sudden declaration. According to the decree written centuries ago by the first emperor, if someone spoke against the royal family or disrespected them, their hands would be chopped off scarring them with a disability for life.
But instantly being hanged just for speaking ill...? That was...cruel.

Even though the crowd wasn't satisfied with the King's announcement, they stayed quiet. Nobody wanted to hit a nerve that'll lead to their doom. Jungkook was acting unpredictably. Till now, he was a calm and composed man rarely driven by his emotions, he was almost like a robot with a certain set of commands installed in his system. The aura that surrounded him was cold and chilling to the bone but it could be dealt with. The people around him became habitual to it.

But now, it was fierce, untamed and relentless.

He changed.

For starters, nobody ever expected him to willingly get married and also go out of the way to choose a bride for himself. He never showed interest in such matters that people began to think he just couldn't get appealed by women.

They all thought he would give in to his mother's demand and get married to Princess Eun Ae.

And now he was changing a law...from the sacred decree?

What went down during his time away from the castle?

Jungkook knew he would have to face these people again and the next time Y/N would have to be strong enough to face them with him, but for the time being they were under control.

The meeting in the royal court ended and Y/N was taken to a wing near the King's chambers. She just silently followed the maids, sighing heavily every now and then, also ignoring the way the maids would glance at her.
They must be judging me.

She had to separate from Jungkook as he had to attend something important. She hated that she was entirely dependent on him, that when he left her hand she instantly felt weak and vulnerable wanting to grab hold of it again.
"I'll come to you later. Hm." That was all he said before leaving.

The castle wasn't any less than a maze and Y/N just knew she'll get lost many times before she memorizes the routes. As the maids walked ahead of her, she felt eyes on her. The workers stopped and looked, murmured to one another and then hesitantly bowed to her. She felt the pressure weighing down on her. This was exactly what she was afraid of. She wanted to cower away from their gazes.
"Always keep your head high."

And the rest of the way, she kept her spine straight and looked straight ahead.

The maids opened the door and asked her to walk in first. Taking small steps, Y/N entered. Saying the room was beautiful would be a disrespect. It was marvellous, it screamed royalty and luxury but it also matched her preferences, soft colours of white and gold, it made her instantly like the place. She took her time to look in all directions. The maids pulled the curtains away making the sunlight kiss the shiny floors of the room. The accessories made of silver and gold shone brightly under the sun, reflecting their light in the entire room making Y/N narrow her eyes. The wall length windows gave away the breathtaking view of the hills and the forest.

"His Majesty renovated this room a few days ago. He asked if you want anything to be changed. Just say the word." Y/N turned to look at the maid. Their heads were lowered.

"A few days ago?"

"Yes, My lady. This entire chamber was built within a span of four days. His Majesty hand picked everything here." Y/N's mouth was hung agap.