13

Author's pov:

Jungkook was proving himself to be more hardworking than the Jung family thought him to be. Mr.Jung got to the field at sharp eight in the morning and he'd find Jungkook already waiting there. When the elder takes a break for an hour to wash up and eat lunch, he'd still be moving across the field with a plough.

Y/N too was stunned to see him so dedicated. In the last three days, she took food for them to the fields and would be mesmerized to see him all indulged in work, dripping in sweat, clothes sticking to his skin. She brought food for him as well but he would hardly eat anything. It worried her. He worked more than her father, so needed more nutrition than him as well.

Whenever he was off field, he asked Y/N about the villages around them. The woman not minding would tell him whatever he wanted to know. While talking to him, Y/N's eyes would betray her and roam about his frame. She would stare at him so shamelessly that she was surprised that he hadn't caught her red handed till now. But she would also catch him eyeing her a few times and the worst part was- he doesn't look away, as if he wanted her to know that he is staring. A weird tension was starting to build between the two and she loved and hated it at the same time.

She shouldn't be having such thoughts and views about a man who isn't her husband. Even having a lover is termed as a filthy act, here she was having fantasies about a stranger who isn't a potential suitor for her. The thought did sting for who knows what reason. This man was now showing up in her dreams, making her feel and experience things she never thought she would. It has barely been a week since she met him yet the impact he had on her was alarming.

Mr.Jung, on the other hand, seemed to be impressed by the young man. His work in the field had reduced twofold. It wasn't that he stopped working, Jungkook would just finish the tasks faster than him and do his share of jobs as well. Mr.Jung could never have a day off due to the conditions in which their family worked so now he enjoyed the bit of leisure time he got. He offered Jungkook to stay in their house as the inn was further away from the field and it would reduce work load on him.

Y/N was sure he would refuse for some reason but he ended up agreeing. She felt a sudden excitement at the thought of him being under the same roof as her again. It also scared her. She did not trust her instinct around him. He seemed like a book of forbidden secrets and she wanted nothing more than to explore it.

She also wondered why such thoughts didn't surface in her mind when she was with Taehyung? She had been with him since childhood but never saw him in a light as she saw Jungkook. Maybe it was because she knew her feeling won't lead her anywhere good and would only complicate her friendship with him.
That man is the Prince of Ulsan for Heaven's sake! It felt like a huge violation to even think of him as a man.

Moreover, her bonding and comfort level with Taehyung had grown so strong that she couldn't accept him in any other role than her best friend.
But what about the question he asked me? I still have no clarity whether I should agree or not.

Taehyung understood her more than anyone else, so wasn't it better to stay with a man who wouldn't treat you like a reward or an object and just as a woman, as an equal? But what about love? What about becoming a queen and having a load of responsibilities on her head? She was scared, not because she was afraid to fulfill those responsibilities towards his kingdom but because of the view people will hold of her. The people of her own kingdom will treat her as a traitor while of the other.........she couldn't imagine them having a positive response either.
Is this really worth it?

Am I ready to lose him as a friend? But he'll be even closer as a husband......so why does the thought of it not please me!!

"The milk will boil out of the pot, little sheep." Y/N flinched out of her thoughts and looked back at the kettle. Quickly blowing the fire off, she turned around to see Jungkook standing near the kitchen entrance, arms crossed as he leaned against the wall.