60

Jungkook's pov:

I've forgotten how to breathe. I can't seem to exhale, can't seem to let go of the pressure that builds up in my lungs. I let it constrict my chest but it still doesn't hurt me the way this news did. I think if I just died a slow death right now and felt every moment of my body withering, it still wouldn't have hurt the way this did.

This feels like a dream. A nightmare. I can't seem to focus on anything in particular. Not Jimin's face. Not on anyone's else. Not even the floor or the ceiling. Everything is too distant to focus on.

I'm lightheaded all of a sudden, my head in the clouds, my feet and legs too weak to withstand my weight. I think I stumble and I don't seem in the right mind to comprehend that. I vaguely feel Jimin holding me up, making me sit on the bed. I think he gives me some water, makes me hold the glass but my fingers seem to be too weak to grab it tight and its slips maybe. I feel the water splashing on my bare feet, the glass breaking. My throat seems to be clogged, I can't seem to be able to swallow my own saliva.

I hear a constant ringing in my ears but that too is distant. I feel disconnected from the rest of the world, like I am suddenly pulled out, plucked out so harshly everything hurts. The ringing is constant but along with that I hear those words. The words that held the power to ruin me completely.

"~Prince Soobin lost his life.~"

"~The queen has been abducted.~"

"~Prince Soobin lost his life.~"

"~The queen has been abducted.~"

"....while trying to..."

"....stop them from taking her....."

"The queen has been abducted."

I feel funny. Painfully funny.

I cover my ears, wanting these noises, these sounds, these words to stop tormenting me like this. But they don't show me mercy. They keep pouring down on me like a rain storm so harsh I feel like being crushed under its torture.

I don't feel good. I feel sick. Terrible. And I want to cave in to the only source of comfort I ever needed and had in life but the reality came down rushing into my body just in a millisecond and I froze. She isn't here.

She isn't going to be here for a while.

Soobin...

I gasp.

I simply can't imagine him being covered in blood, helpless, taking his last breaths. I just can't.

I practically raised that kid.

He was my first ever friend. My first companion. My first solace out of this robotic and chained life I was living under my mother's shadows. I remember how happy I was when I found out Ma was having a baby. But I couldn't really show it to anyone so I acted like it didn't bother me, affect me in any way, be it good or bad. I was afraid to approach her. I didn't know what I'll say when she'll look at me. I found myself frozen whenever out eyes clashed.

She looked warm. Like a drop of the bright sun which was quite unlike how people in the castle described her as. Even the workers and maids called her names, they called her mean. It made me want to counter them, tell them they must have mistaken it all cause just one look at her and you just know she had a good heart. I think father was the only one to ever see that and that was why he loved her so much, so unconditionally.

I wasn't jealous of her for stealing my time with him. I wanted to get to know her too but I was afraid. I was scared of getting disappointed and becoming a disappointment. What if she didn't like me? What if I perceived her to be someone she was not? But all that changed when Soobin came into our lives. He became the anchor between us. A bridge.