25

Y/N's pov:

The news spread like wildfire.
The King came to visit a villager's cottage.
I could hear people gossip all about it.

By the time I returned back home, there was a crowd gathered outside. There was a carriage present right outside the entrance along with a few soldiers.

Why is everything happening so fast?

With great difficulty, I pushed past the crowd to get inside. On hearing a commotion near my room I quickly walked in. Two maids were packing my clothes while my father stood there looking lost. My heart sank on realising I was suppose to leave today itself. On sensing my presence, father turned to me.

Well, atleast one of us would be happy with this outcome.

A sigh escaped my lips, knowing I couldn't do much to stop what was happening. So to make things easier for my father, I began helping the maids. They even asked me to not do it but I just ignored their words.

Father tried to initiate a talk with me but I wasn't having any of it. All he wanted to say was out in the open, there was nothing left to talk about. If he wants me gone, I will leave.

The maids could sense the tension as I aggressively folded my clothes and shoved them into the bag. "My lady, you don't have to bring all your clothes. His Majesty asked for only a few so you could wear them in the mean time they take your measurements and weave you new ones."

Despite the soft spot I had for him, I couldn't help but feel irked whenever he was being mentioned today. "Tell Your Majesty, he doesn't need to bother." The ladies in the room gaped at me, at my audacity. "And please don't call me 'My Lady'."

"Y/N! Do you!- can you please leave us alone for a moment?" In a few seconds, the room was left with just the two of us. "Have I not made it clear!? Don't talk like this! What if he hears you and gets offended? Huh?"

"What will he do? Get me hanged. That would actually be far better than this." I snapped back.

"How dare you talk back like this!? It wouldn't be you. He'll hang me. You already got the free pass from him by being pretty." He scoffed. Why is everyone proving me wrong today and doing the things I thought they were never capable of?
"Tell me, Y/N. Did something happen between the two of you while I was away? Did you seduce him? Why else would he be interested in you? To the point he wants to marry you."

And that was the last straw for me. Now, I just couldn't wait to leave this place.

The ride to the castle was awfully quiet for me with no one to talk to. But being alone helped me calm down a little. It took us three days to reach. I was tired just by sitting around and my back hurt like hell. If it took three days to reach then that meant he was there only for a day. What did he do in a day?
Why do I care? Hmph!

I was isolated in that carriage. The maids would occasionally come and ask if I wanted anything or not. At night, they would set up a camp to stay and rest. I wasn't allowed to help or even pick a stick. Every time I asked 'why', the same annoying answer- King's orders! King's orders! King's orders! I was given a separate tent to sleep in with no one to share it with. I wasn't used to such special treatment and it weirded me out. No one looked me in the eye, always used formal language with 'Highness' 'Madam' 'My Lady'.

I didn't see him nor did I want to see him.
But that didn't mean he didn't see me. Everytime I felt eyes on me, I knew it was him. When I would wake up from my slumber, I would find another layer of blanket carefully wrapped up around me. He could disappear like he wasn't even there but he couldn't erase that scent of sandalwood he left behind where ever he went.