PART 43 : WEDDING BELLS OTW

When God knows you're ready for the responsibility of commitment, He'll reveal the right person under the right circumstances.

★ ★ ★

For David Anosike, a groom-to-be, he had not yet gotten affairs at his office in order, and his permission-seeking window was getting shut slowly.

The office was experiencing an upheaval with the influx of new shareholders, and there was a high chance that those who had a hand in bringing in new shareholders would be promoted.

Dave knew of the brains behind one big fish, and he sure hoped to be rewarded accordingly.

He had so many bills waiting for him, and his younger sister, Muna, had been covering them for him for a really long time now.

When he got home that evening, he was glad to see Muna in the house. The last weekend, they were not able to see because of her sleepover at her friend's. They'd discussed sexuality and relationships last night, but Dave didn't think so much about Muna's stand on the whole queer side of life.

Now, he brought up the topic of his relationship and asked for her opinion. He'd always known her to be naturally perspicacious and needed that side of her now more than ever. Their mom was the other person he would have talked to about this, but...

"Bro, see, if you only like her or maybe even love her just because you feel attracted to her physically, then bro, that's not who you should marry." Muna stated this to Dave as a matter of fact, interrupting his thoughts.

"So, I shouldn't be physically attracted to her?" Dave replied, "There's more to Kachi na. It's not just her body. I know she may be really curvy and all, and you'll be thrown off your feet at first sight of her, but she's an amazing person. You two should definitely get to hang out. But I think physical attraction counts."

"Okay. All I'm saying is that, normally, especially for you guys that are moved by sight, a physical attraction is often desired first above many things but you'll discover it to be short-lived." Muna sat up and continued, "Find yourself someone who gets under your skin, seduces the dusty corners of your heart, and provides you with a mental connection. That is when you'll know true intimacy."

Dave was so attentive; he didn't notice that Muna left out the part about hanging out with his wife-to-be but he seemed to be taking mental notes as Muna spoke and kept nodding his head in agreement.

"I think Kachi is the one. She does get under my skin, and she makes me a better person. Both spiritually and mentally. Yeah, I think, no scratch that, I'm sure she's the one."

"Then tell mom and dad that we've got a wedding to plan!"

Muna punched her fists in the air and smiled at her older brother. She was going to have an in-law soon and all of that drama she sees in other families.

She was definitely not interested in being on the bridal train; that was Catherine's department, but she looked forward to being a part of the wedding planning committee, which her mom would personally create and supervise.

She was going to be an aunt soon too, she hoped.

The way they'd met was rather funny because Dave was one to champion the notion that 'dating at one's workplace was a terrible decision.' Now, all he talked about was how comfortable it feels to date someone who knows you very well.

That knowledge came from spending so much time with a person at a place where they spent the most of their life. For Dave, that was at his workplace.

Kachi had been his colleague but not his friend and he started making advances at her after they'd closed a major deal together.

She was an older employee but she didn't rub it off on him like the others did.

He liked that she was brilliant and well-spoken. Not to talk about the fact that she was Catholic too. They all had a silent wish to never marry outside their religion and faith and so far, Dave was the only one who'd ticked that off. For now.

Now, they knew each other as much as they knew themselves, and their intimacy, rather like too many suitcases, was a matter of perpetual concern; together, they sometimes moved slowly and clumsily, effecting lugubrious compromises, attending to delicate shifts of mood, repairing breaches, and to add to that, they were an excellent duo at winning clients for their company.

As individuals, Dave and Kachi didn't easily take offense, but together they managed to offend each other in surprising, unexpected ways.

The offender—it had happened twice since they became official—became irritated by the cloying susceptibilities of the other, and they would continue to explore the twisting alleyways and sudden squares in silence. With each step, the world receded as they locked tighter into each other's presence.

★ ★ ★