PART 35 : DAMSEL IN DISTRESS

Nurturing a feeling makes it proliferate. Choose wisely. Joy, kindness, love, & caring will illuminate your life.

★ ★ ★

When Muna regained herself, she saw the car beaming it's headlights at a bike in front of them.

It took a while for Muna to realize that the man was quivering in the driver's seat even as Audrina powered off the power bike and approached the car. She had deliberately parked in a spot with no turns and waited till the car approached.

Muna thought she walked rather slowly, or maybe it was the alcohol in her system that was making her see things in slow mo.

She finally reached the car and Muna saw she had a large stick in her right hand and she hit the bonnet of the car, terrifying both her and the driver.

They jumped in their seats, and Muna tried to open the door where she sat but it was locked. Then she started hitting the window repeatedly to get Audrina's attention.

"Get out."

The driver immediately unlocked the doors and stepped out. Audrina's voice had been louder, more like a command and it was enough to make a guilty, grown man obedient.

She grabbed him by a fistful of his shirt and roughly pushed him to the car's side.

"Can you explain to me why, on earth, you're driving like a thief? Are you out of your goddamn mind?"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Abeg no vex. Abeg abeg..."

"Are you hurt, babe?" Audrina asked Muna without taking her eyes off the man she held so strongly.

"No, no. I'm fine." Muna replied, still dazed from the collision and got out of the car.

"You have not answered my question, Mr. man. Why were you driving like that?" She asked him again, but this time, she tightened her grip on him, which made his breathing harder. She recognized him from the first chase and grimaced.

"Hold on a minute, you're the one that drove away with my friend from the bar. You're mad!"

She shoved him towards the car and kicked his knees. The man nearly fell but got back to his feet and turned to face her.

Muna was looking from man to girl, thinking now that they both seemed to be acting like the opposite gender.

"You recognize me, abi?" She angrily asked the driver

"Y-yes. Na why I dey try speed make I escape you."
The man's English was making Audrina's head turn anticlockwise but she needed to shake him off thoroughly.

"Why did you speed off like that at the bar? Ehn! Answer me!"

The man was shaking terribly and his voice was very unsteady when he spoke.

"She be dancer... We just want make she perform for us." The man managed to say.

"We? Who do you mean by 'we'?" Audrina asked and tilted her head a bit to look into the car and she saw that there was no one else.

She looked back at him and raised her eyebrows, waiting for an explanation.

"My friend at the bar. Errmm, we like as she dey sing and dance for that karokeh thing, Abi wetin dem dey call am?"

"You mean karaoke?" Audrina asked.

"Ehenn yes, yes."

"So, what if you liked her singing and dancing?" Audrina urged him to continue, although she already understood why he did what he did, since he was following her uncle's orders.

But she wanted him to know he could get actually caught and reported if things got uglier. She listened to him as he spoke but she really wanted to take Muna aside, hug her and explain the kiss.

"Errmm naso we just plan say, make she come perform for us but we no too get money like that na why we just say make we bring am come our area make she do free show to exchange for her freedom. That kyn thing. Abeg no vex. Na oga Nico send us."

The man finished and began rubbing his palms together in a pleading manner.

"You guys just act. You don't think. You should be locked up for this, you know! Okay, not you but actually my uncle, Nicholas or Nico as you call him... anyways, how is someone like you an Uber driver sef?"

"E get as we dey take do am. I no dey in charge of that one, abeg sister."

Audrina was furious at the unreasonable reason for the entire situation. She couldn't direct her anger at her uncle but she'd given him a piece of her mind at least and they had a deal.

He could see the rage on Audrina's face and continued pleading.

"Abeg no vex. Abeg na joke. I no plan to do am anything at all. Na just to perform. Please, no report me abeg. The real driver stop for road to piss and my friend go distract am, then me, I just hijack him car as we see say una dey wait for car outside the bar. Abeg no vex."

"But she already performed. Where were you taking her again? Have you lost your mind?"

"She suppose perform again for mainland, na wetin oga Nico ask me to do but I wan carry am go another side. But true true na just for cruise. Abeg no vex." The man was shaking and took a look at Muna.

Audrina raised her fist to punch the man but Muna stopped her.

She walked to the man's front and, stretching up, landed him a really hot slap. It sounded quite painful and Audrina winced on his behalf.

"How dare you drive like a maniac with a lady in the backseat, ehn! What the hell is wrong with you! You even had the guts to drug me with chloroform the first time!" She raised her hand to slap him again but the man covered his face quickly.

"I should record your face this instant and post it on the internet. Piece of shit!" She threw her fist into his abdomen with as much force as she could muster.

The man nearly fell to his knees but Audrina caught and steadied him for another slap.

"Babe, babe, please, let him go." Muna stopped her.

Audrina turned to look at Muna briefly and shook her head.

"Let him go, for real. I'm serious. We need to talk." She was yet to tell her about the payment she'd gotten from Nico.

At that, Audrina decided to release him.

★ ★ ★