PART 23 : MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

Love is no game. People cut their ears off over this stuff. People jump off the Eiffel Tower and sell all their possessions and move to Alaska to live with the grizzly bears, and then they get eaten and nobody hears them when they scream for help. That's right. Falling in love, is pretty much the same thing as being eaten alive by a grizzly bear.

***** 

There was no going back now. Rubber and metal could only take so much. The car could shatter and send its passenger—who sort of had a soft spot in Audrina's heart—into an elemental distillation of rock, flesh, blood, and ash.

Alchemy.

Audrina thought grimly.

Too much bloody alchemy.

As Muna was driven away, her tipsy state began to diminish, and she reached for her phone in her little bag that sat on her lap.

She saw that she had a message from Audrina and opened it. She listened to the voice note and felt a bit uneasy, even as she held on for dear life. The driver was driving as if he were Dominic Toretto going after Luke Hobbs.

The guy behind the wheels was driving so fast that if he came across a sharp turn, he'd make a terrible swerve for it. The man must be drunk, but what sort of Uber driver gets drunk and accepts a ride order? She thought.

It was with great relief when she looked behind and saw Audrina on a power bike, making her way through the few vehicles on the road to her.

When she got close to the speeding car, Muna could see that she was very angry, but just as she came up on the side of Muna's door, she drove past them and kept going.

Where's she going? Didn't she recognize this car?

Muna was distraught with her thoughts, when suddenly the car came to a sharp stop, which almost threw Muna into the space between the driver's seat and the shotgun seat.

Suddenly, the driver got out of the car and turned to the other side of the front seat. Then another man came out of the corner of the road they had turned into and got behind the wheels.

What the actual fuck was going on? And where was Audrina?

Muna wanted to cry but held back the tears. She didn't want to look so weak to these men.

The new driver finessed his way out of the road as he reversed on top speed, then made a sharp turn into the highway.

Muna was almost impressed with his driving skills. The other man in the front was nodding his head in admiration too, as if to admit that the other man was a better driver than he was.

"Where are you taking me?" Muna screamed.

No answer. The other guy bent between his legs like he was picking something up.

"Please, I don't have money, if that's what you people want. Please, let me go." She was furious but tried to sound as calm as possible.

"Where are y ---" The other man suddenly reached for Muna's hair, gripping it hard with one hand and pulled her face into the small white cloth in his other hand.

Muna struggled for release, trying to shove the man's hand away but the more she struggled, the more he pressed her face into the cloth.

She had learned from lots of movies how to play dead or feign a faint and as she reduced her struggles, she slowly let go of the man's hand and fell like a log into the back seat, intentionally hitting her head on the seat's belt buckle as she fell.

It hurt but she had dealt with worse pain.

She stayed put, her eyes firmly shut with one hand across her stomach, and the other dangled between the car seat and the little carpet on the floor of the car.

"You suppose don shush the babe since na. You sure say she no see the road wey we dey follow go zanga?" The driver asked the other guy, as he dropped the chloroform container back into the little box beneath his seat.

"She no see anything, jare. Na fear dey her mind like this." He replied and cleaned his hands after throwing the white cloth out of the window.

On top speed now, the car sped right past Audrina on her motorbike, who seemed to have lost them earlier. She pursued and tried to keep up with them but the driver was too damn fast and for some reason, she couldn't catch up with this guy.

Audrina saw something thrown out of the car as she tailed it from a distance and she stopped by it when she went to the spot where it lay. Bending from the powerbike, she picked it up and stared at it, then brought it to her nose.

Before it got to her nose, her nostrils could already pick up the stench of chloroform, and as a science student, she knew what it was mostly used for.

Nigerian kidnappers were no newbies to this either.

Way ahead of her, the driver made another turn into a deserted street and then another into a dusty plain road, which led to a dome-like building with lights and music blaring around and about it.

He got to the entrance and signaled to the men at the gate to let him in. They checked the trunk of the car and flashed their torchlight at the backseat.

Seeing Muna lying there, they raised the barrier at the entrance of the building and he drove in with such much rush. He was late.

*******

Thank you for your messages and upvotes. I appreciate the support. Please, keep upvoting and leave your comments as you read, if you like.

The next chapter will be available next Monday.

 Oh, and guys, I just started seeing SUITS!! I'm binge-watching the series!! 

Sike!! > <