Emperor

As Pidge and Hunk were arguing about whether or not to double-modulate, Pidge's father came in asking for Shiro, but neither of them had seen him. He was leaving to return to Earth and inform the garrison about the war with Zarkon and the Empire, and wanted to check with Shiro to make sure he had all of his information correct.

"I'll contact Allura," Pidge told him and began typing away when her face popped up on the screen. "Hey Princess, have you seen Shiro?"

"Let me check," she said and then panic washed over her. "He is gone and so is his lion."

Pidge's eyes widened in surprise.

"Where are Lance and Lotor?" Allura growled.

—-

Warlord Ranveig groaned in defeat as Sendak stood over him, tall and confident. "The empire is mine." Sendak growled and marched to the pit of purple flames and grabbed a torch.

He ascended the steps and turned around. "I will strengthen the empire!" He shouted triumphantly from the top of the stairs, the Kral Zera behind him, ready to be lit once more.

"Stop!" Commander Tugg yelled and gained Sendak's attention. "You will not light the torch without fighting my blades!" She yelled and charged at him. Sendak charged his arm and the blast it sent missed the woman.

Sendak narrowed his eyes and aimed once more as she came down on him, prepared to kill him but he had fired his arm just before she reached him, sending her flying down the stairs where she crumbled in defeat.

Seeing Sendak defeat two very formidable opponents had the other contenders hesitating.

Suddenly, the ground began to shake as a roar came from above, and much to everyone's shock, the Black Lion descended and landed, the force causing a powerful gust of wind that blew out Sendak's torch.

The black lion's mouth opened to reveal Prince Lotor, Zarkon's son and his generals, dressed proudly in their colors. They exited the black lion, their weapons in hand, ready for a fight.

"Your true emperor is here!" Lotor called proudly, his arms spread.

"You?" Sendak snarled. "What makes you think you can rule the empire?"

"My fathers blood is not just in my veins, but also my sword." Lotor narrowed his eyes on Sendak, silently promising pain and death in the near future. If Sendak knew what was good for him, he would stand down.

"The emperor fell to me and anyone who stands in my way, will meet the same fate." Lotor promised.

"You think treachery makes you qualified to lead us?" Sendak snarled as he raised his arm, ready for a fight.

"I will not light the flame for defeating my father but for doing something no one has been able to do." Lotor stood proud. "The black lion has returned. Stand aside Sendak." Lotor ordered but he knew Sendak would refuse.

"Time to prove yourself through the rite of combat!"

"Enough!" Haggar yelled. "You can not lead the empire. You yourself are not full galra, you have weak altean blood running through your veins from your altean mother." She said coldly and Lotor's eyes narrowed dangerously.

"Everyone here knows my lineage, that alone will not keep me from the throne. I shall prove myself worthy." Lotor smirked. "I will be taking what is rightfully mine. I am lighting that flame and sending those who defy me to join my father!"

Lotor charged at Sendak who met him, their weapons clashing. They landed blow after blow, neither of them willing to back down. Lotor was an excellent swordsman and easily blocked Sendak's sloppy and predictable attacks.

"You are nothing but Haggar's pet," Lotor snarled as he parried another attack. "I know who and what I am! I am a warrior!" Sendak sent Lotor back with the force of his arm and Lotor landed on both feet gracefully.

Lance watched the fight through his scope, waiting for the perfect moment. Lotor dodged when Sendak's arm flew past him but he was hit and propelled upwards and fell onto his knees that would definitely hurt tomorrow.

"Lotor had betrayed us to Voltron! Fire on the black lion!" Sendak ordered and galra began to fire on the black lion, forcing Shiro to retreat. Instead, he focused on the ships scattered in the atmosphere.

Galran soldiers surrounded Lance but his girls had his back. They fought off the galra as he continued watching through his scope, trusting them to protect him.

All the lions were here as they fought the galran fleet above them and Sendak watched, rage filling him.

"Sendak!" Lotor roared, catching the man's attention and before the man could even think to retreat, Lance fired, his bullet hitting him point blank in the head. Sendak crumbled to the ground and Lance grinned. "That's for my back you fucker!" Lance yelled out.

Lance dropped his weapon and climbed up the stairs to stand by Lotor's side, who was breathing heavily, trying to catch his breath. Lance reached for a torch in the pitch and handed it to Lotor. "You must light it on your own." Lance told him, a bright, proud smile on his face and Lotor nodded.

They walked up the stairs where the Archivist awaited his new emperor. Lance remained on the stairs as he watched Lotor ascend the steps to his new destiny.

Lotor lit the Kral Zera, the purple flames burning brighter than ever. "The flame is lit, bow to your emperor." The Archivist boomed and everyone bowed, except for voltron of course. Lance stood in front of Lotor and bowed himself.

"Should I call you my emperor now?"