21

Robyn woke up to Victor nuzzling her. She'd come home deflated and gone straight to bed. Her heart felt like it had lost something despite her head telling her there was nothing to lose.

She let her mind drift back to the first proper kiss. Here in the kitchen. They way Riley cupped her face, and brushed her thumb so tenderly over her jaw. Her words, "you're beautiful and I can't stop myself anymore. I need to taste your kiss. Is that okay?" How considered the brunette was as she moved forward holding her eyes. The softness of her lips as they gently caressed her own. Her hand moved through her hair as she moved to pull her deeper, the warmth of her mouth and the teasing way she used her tongue. It was perfect.

Robyn sighed out a long labored breath. It was now perfect for someone else she mused sadly. She looked at the clock, it was almost noon. She hadn't slept well but hadn't thought she would have slept that late. No wonder the cat had woken her, he must be hungry.

She'd planned to go out and buy a swimsuit for her lesson, but she wasn't sure about going now. It would probably hurt to see her. She got up and after padding through to the toilet she went to the kitchen. "What do you think Victor, should mummy go swimming?"

The cat just looked up at her and pawed his bowl. She looked out a can of Salmon , it was his Sunday treat and put the fish into his bowl, he meowed in anticipation, "well at least you love me, or maybe you just like food eh?"

She filled a small saucer with cream and set it down next to his food bowl.

Now for her, she opened the cupboards and the fridge before settling on just a coffee.

——

Riley sat down in the cafe at the pool with her packed lunch, Harper who worked the outlet at the weekend sent a wink in her direction. She smiled back. Before removing the saran wrap from today's peanut butter and jelly creation. She yawned,

"Date went well then?" Harper smiled as she sat the Americano down in front of the swimming instructor. "On the house, it looks like you could use it."

"No. Well it went the way I wanted but I was home by ten."

Harper sat down at 130 on a Sunday the rush was over.

"Yeah she was nice, we had a kiss."

"And you realized you were still into the teacher?"

Riley looked puzzled. She'd never mentioned what Robyn did for a living.

"Don't worry, I put two and two together and I won't say anything." She smiled.

Harper had turned into someone she could talk to. It started with a drunken hook up the weekend she arrived back in town at the start of the summer. Both agreed it was a one time thing the morning after there had been no awkwardness since. The fact that she'd started seeing her only other non school acquaintance Lyndsay helped. And harper had been there the night left the bar with Robyn, meant she knew about the blonde then.

"Yeah, how did you put two and two together? I thought I'd been pretty discreet."

"I didn't until just then, just something Lyns said about you being obsessed with your English teacher and then she came in for a coffee at the gala last week and I recognized her from the bar."

"Shit. This really is a small town."

"As I said I won't say, but it sucks that you've fallen for someone you can't have."

"It's okay, she's made it completely clear that she doesn't want me. I'm nothing to her, just another stupid student." Riley screwed her face up. "How you and Lyns anyway, official yet?"

"We're exclusive and heading in the right direction." Harper smiled as she stood up noticing a customer enter the cafe. "You got the cougar next?" Harper laughed as Riley made a scary face and nodded, the strawberry blonde went to serve her customer, "hi, what can I get you?"

Lunch passed and before she knew it she was handing a pair of swim shorts to her next client, "I'm sorry but that's not really appropriate for a public pool."

Lauren Garrison, one of her younger students' moms, thought a g string bikini was the perfect outfit for a swimming lesson. The woman was becoming more overtly sexual everytime she came for a lesson and Riley rebuked her advances. The bikini top didn't leave much to the imagination either, just a triangle of material covering the areola and nipples which was straining against the size and weight of her fake cleavage.

Riley was also pretty sure the woman could swim and was only paying for a lesson in the hope that she could pull the instructor.

"You know Lauren, I think you're about good to carry on without me now." Riley was standing at the side of the pool. In a pair of swim shorts and T-shirt.

The mother ran her eyes down the swim coach's body as she purposely clawed down her abs, before moving away to the change room. "See you next week, gorgeous."

Riley shook her head. Checked the clock, almost three. Time for her last client of the day, someone new, R Merseden. She really had to speak to the front reception about how they took these bookings; she had no idea if she was looking out for a man or a woman.

It was ten past when she stood up from the side of the pool where she'd be dangling her legs. She couldn't fathom who anyone could spend $40 in a lesson and then not show up. As she turned to head back to reception and call it quits for the day she spotted a very timid looking blonde in an extremely modest black swimsuit. The teacher looked like she'd been standing against the back wall at the change room for a while, Riley couldn't stop herself from going over.

"Hi, I thought you couldn't swim?"

Robyn looked at the brunette in her uniform and half smiled, "I can't, that's why I'm here to learn."

"With me?"

"Yeah I booked in on Tuesday when I was here at the gala. I thought if I'm going to learn, I might as well learn from the best."

Riley smiled broadly and her dimples deepened, "so your R Marsden, did you purposefully give a fake name or..."

"No, but I did make the booking quick. Before I changed my mind."

Riley laughed, "Okay Ms Westland, let's get you in the pool." The instructor said as she pulled off her t-shirt, to expose a swimsuit. She left the shorts on.

"Please call me Robyn."

"Only if you call me Riley."