Chapter 5

"Was that Zoo?!" Asha asked barging into my room.

"Yeah," I nodded, looking back down at my homework.

"So you guys are friends now?"

"No. I'm just tutoring him,"

"I see, hmm, well y'all cute together. I see it," She squealed getting ready to close the door.

"Nah, that'll never happen,"

"You say that now, but you will fall for him. Watch," She closed the door going back to her  room. I laughed shaking my head. Me and Zoo together? Never.

A few weeks had passed and everything was going alright. Aunt Tasha's sugar daddies hadn't been over since she had to work a lot, no one was trynna fight Layla at school, Tanisha was still being an ass, Asha was still focusing in her studies. Shayla was still in the hospital though because her vitals weren't as stable as we thought they were. The only real problem Layla had was Zoo, he didn't show up for any of the tutoring sessions and if he did it would only be for 10 to 15 minutes. He didn't care about school or anything that had to do with education and the tutoring thing was a waste of time. Half the time he didn't even show up at school, he'd be too busy sleeping in or trapping. Frankly, his mother got tired of it. Even though Zoo didn't know it she'd soon be kicking him out of the house, for slacking around and doing nothing with his future.

It was Friday morning and at the Mayfield household everyone was fighting for turns in the bathroom so they could get ready for school.

Zoo lived in a small cramped home, with two bedrooms and one bathroom, which he shared with his younger brother, younger sister and mother. Around 6, he woke up stretching and heading to the bathroom. His mother, had already left for work, so he had to get his sister and brother ready. His mom worked two jobs, so she was barely home to care of them. Both jobs didn't pay enough to afford the place, that Zoo often had to pitch in a couple hundreds in order to pay for food and water. Zoo quickly showered, then got dressed in a gray hoodie, legend blue 11s, and dark blue jeans. He made his sister breakfast while he waited for his brother. Soon as they were all ready, Zoo dropped his brother off to the middle school a few blocks away from the house, then his sister at the elementary school, by then he was on his way to school.

It's been a week since Zoo had been at school, but again he didn't give a fuck. In fact, instead of walking inside the decided to stay in his car and smoke a blunt before going to class. By the time he was done first period was about to begin. He dapped his boys up and hugged the twins in the hallway on the way to first period.

He noticed that Layla wasn't there, and she wasn't in her seat when he walked into the classroom. 10 minutes into class, Layla appeared. He watched as she walked in going to the teacher's desk. She was wearing black fitted joggers, cool grey 11s, a gray hoodie. He admired her physique, specifically her ass. He thought she was cute, but he felt no type of feelings.

"Okay class, work with a partner to practice the next 4 problems, either the person in front, behind or beside you," the teacher passed out the papers, by the time he got his everyone had already paired up. Zoo sat in his chair just looking at his paper, Layla turned around.

"Look who finally showed up," she said rolling her eyes.

Zoo just stared at her, then looked back down at his paper. Layla had already finished doing two problems, then she looked at Zoo's paper which was still blank. She began helping him work the problems, he understood the material he just didn't want to apply himself.

"Are you still trynna do the tutoring, cause you barely show up?" Layla asked once they were done.

He looked up at her, then nodded, "I'm not trynna do it at the library, wait at my car after school."

Layla looked at him like he was crazy, she was not trynna work at his house, let alone spend time with him. But she remembered what was on the line if she didn't do it. She nodded, then turned in her paper and went back to her seat and did some work for other classes.

Zoo pulled out his Iphone 5 which had been vibrating constantly.
"We found him buddy, tonight 11pm my house" -Jeremiah
He smiled quickly answering, then putting his phone back in his pocket. Zoo wasn't a flashy person, he was actually very humble. Growing up he didn't have much, barely even had a home so he knew not to judge people who didn't have much either.

He began gangbanging, his 8th grade year which is when his father had passed. He robbed, and killed over 10 people. He sold weed and the finest cocaine. But he made sure to never hurt children or women, cause he'd never want anyone to come after his own mother and siblings. Selling helped him make over a thousand dollars a day, plus in the Paterson the police never really cared. But then again law enforcement didn't care for black neighborhoods.

After class Zoo went to his locker. While he was putting his books away, Monty walked over dapping him up.

"Did Jerminah text you?" Monty said excitedly.

"Yeah, I'm ready to get my hands dirty, 'specially since them niggas stole our shit," Zoo laughed closing his locker.

"Right,,teach em not to fuck with us anymore," Monty laughed. "Whatchu boutta do before?"

"Mm gotta do that tutorin joint wit Layla," Zoo sighed. Monty began smirking. "Fuck you smirkin for nigga?" Zoo said raising his eyebrows.

"Nothin nothin," Monty laughed. "I'm boutta go talk to Asha, I'll see you tonight."

They dapped, then Zoo continued making his way to class when he was stopped by his "girlfriend" Cheyenne.

"Hey baby," She said kissing his cheek. "Want to come over today?"

Zoo really hated her. He was only with her cause she looked nice, and he wanted some head and sex every once in a while. He didn't claim her as his girl, in fact he cheated on her so many times with different girls. She believed they were together, but everyone and their mamas knew that Zoo got the bitches.

"Nah, I got stuff to do," He walked faster, entering his class. As he was walking by he stared at Layla who glanced up at him. Once their eyes met, Layla looked was scurried into her classroom.

At lunch, Zoo watched as Layla walked into the cafeteria. He watched her sit by herself at a table nearby.

"Fuck you lookin at Willie?" Tanisha laughed stealing a fry.

"Hmm nothin," He said looking down at his food. "And don't call me that."

"He's looking at Layla like shit," Monty smirked chewing on his burger.

"Shut your ass up," Zoo replied throwing a fry across the table.

"Awww how cute, Zoo actually likes someone, it's about time," Asha smiled.

"I don't like her," Zoo replied irritated. He got up from the table throwing away the food that he barely touched and walked out the cafeteria.

***
Check out: fettywvp1738.tumblr.com
Tumblr: xgoldenvibesx.tumblr.com
Twitter: __ashhhh