Chapter 11

Layla stood beside them as they were getting shoved into the police car. Zoo looked at her from the back of the police car, she watched as they were being driven away.

"They robbed a place?!" Layla asked Dice who was dialing numbers.

"Nah, it's a long story," He said putting the phone to his ear. "You know how to drive?"

I nodded, "Yeah" he handed me the keys to Zoo's car keys.

"Aight, drive it home, I'll come get it later," Dice hugged me then went to Monty's car.

Layla got in the car, backing out the parking lot. Meanwhile at the police station the boys were sitting in the separate interrogation rooms. Even though they had done the robbery, they  had proof that they were at the movies. Before the crime was done, they had gone to the movies bought movie tickets, but didn't actually go to the movie.

"So your telling me, you and your friend went to the movies?" The lady asked.

"Yes m'am," Zoo said calmly.

"Then why are you and your friend in the video camera," She asked replaying the video.

"That can be anyone, the videos blurry as hell,"

It was true the video was blurry, but since the cops had been looking for them for awhile they quickly assumed it was them. After a few minutes, both the boys were released and were picked up by Dice. Once Zoo got to Monty's house he called Layla, but she didn't pick up.

Layla saw the call, but honestly she didn't want to talk to him at the moment. In fact, a couple weeks had gone by where she didn't return his calls and she ignored him at school. After school, she either went straight home, the hospital or work.

Zoo had eventually given up, asking her cousin Asha, why Layla was ignoring him.

He was told, "She don't want no nigga that's out robbin and killin niggas. She's scared you gon do some wild shit to her when you mad."

Zoo was disappointed. He understood where Layla was coming from though; she wasn't used to that lifestyle and he  was okay with that, but being from the hood Zoo didn't know how to change his ways. Too make it in the hood, you had to hustle, that's what Zoo's been told since the age of 10. But he actually willing to try and change, he really liked Layla.

On a Friday afternoon, Layla was busy taking orders and working the register, at one of the local diners 2 blocks away from her aunts house.

"Nah buddy," Zoo loudly laughed walking into the diner with a group of boys including, Monty and Dice. They all sat at a table, that Layla had to cover, but of course she didn't want to.

"Jenni, can you cover my table pleasee?" Layla begged her coworker.

Jenni looked at the table confused, then noticed the group of boys, "Is one of them Willie?"

Layla nodded pointing at Zoo. Jenni grabbed her notepad walking over to the table. Less than a minute later she came back to Layla, "They asked for you, they won't let me take the order."

Layla sighed taking the notepad. She slowly walked over to the guys, putting on a fake smile, "What would you guys like?"

They all began giving there orders except Zoo, he just watched her stand there taking orders. He didn't realize how hard, he was staring till Monty kicked his leg from under the table.

"What would you like?" Layla said asking Zoo without actually looking at him.

"Ugh lemme get the steak joint,"

Layla nodded going back to the register and handing the ticket. Zoo continued staring at her barely listening to his friends talk.

"You starin mad hard bro," Dice laughed.

"I told you, this nigga sprung," Monty chuckled.

For the first time Zoo didn't argue back, in fact he was starting to accept that he had feelings for Layla. The fact that he even trusted her was huge, and like we mentioned before, she brought the good out in him.

"I need her," Zoo mumbled.

Layla came back at the table serving everybody their drinks & food, then went back behind the counter, to ring a few people up.

Some savage man suddenly ran into the diner yelling, "Put your hands in the air and give me all your money," with a gun in his hands.

Zoo watched as Layla began shaking, usually he wouldn't do anything, but for Layla it seemed like he'd do everything. Monty and Zoo quickly came up with a plan. The diner was empty, and the guys were sitting in the back so the robber didn't see them. Zoo and Monty got out there seats, after proper scheming Zoo ran up on the robber smoothly punching him in the face. Monty tagged along with Zoo, throwing a few punches and kicks. By then Layla was able to call the police.

When the police came, they took the man making sure he would be locked up. Then questioned Layla along with Zoo's friends.

"You alright?" Zoo asked once the cops had left.

"Yeah..thanks," She mumbled not looking at him.

"Can we talk?" Zoo said sitting at the counter. Layla stopped wiping the counters, looking at him. "I know you think I'd hurt you or whatever-"

"It's not just that," Layla said interrupting. "I just think you better than that robbin shit."

"Fuck you care so much?" Even though Zoo kind of had feelings, he didn't really know how to express them towards females. He hasn't considered a females feelings ever since his last real relationship which was about a year or two ago. He didn't know how to deal with them and their sporadic "feelings".

"Cause unlike some people in your life I care about you and your future," Layla mumbled walking off to the employees only room.

Zoo was caught off guard. He didn't realize how much she cared for him. And no one has ever told him that they cared about his future, not even his own mother. Thinking about it now, Zoo felt like everyone had given hope on the possibility that he could be successful.

That evening Zoo had gone to Layla's aunts' house. He knocked on the door, and was waiting for someone to answer.

Aunt Tasha looked at Zoo, eyeing him a little, not unlocking the screen door separating them, "Layla your little friends' here."

She rolled her eyes, tying her robe and smoking her cigarette then shuffled back up the steps. Layla came down the stairs, wondering what "friend" came to visit. Once she saw Zoo she somewhat rolled her eyes.

"What?" She asked crossing her arms, while looking at him through the screen door.

"Can you come out?" Zoo asked softly.

She sighed opening the door, and stepping out on the porch. "Okay what?"

"I just wanted to say sorry," He said nervously. "I'm not used to dealin with people who believe in me and all that stuff, but this lifestyle is who I am. If you not messin with this life, then it's fine-"

Layla's face began to soften as she listened to his apology. She really liked him and the fact that he had the courage to actually apologize was impressive. She placed her hand on his cheek, then slowly moved in kissing his lips. Zoo was surprised like always since he never expected anything from Layla, but for once he didn't let go and neither did she. He pulled her in closer, deepening the kiss. Neither of them had kissed anyone so passionately in a while.

"But did I not say this would happen?!" Asha squealed from inside the house. Layla & Zoo let go, looking at Asha who had just ruined the moment. Layla buried her face in Zoo's shirt, feeling extra shy. Zoo chuckled, shaking his head, yet smiling.

He hugged Layla, "I'll see you tomorrow, aight."

TO BE CONTINUED
***
Check out: fettywvp1738.tumblr.com
Tumblr: xgoldenvibesx.tumblr.com
Twitter: __ashhhh