Chapter 8

Layla went upstairs changing into some black ripped jeans, plain black zip-up jacket, and gamma 12s. She put on a beanie, grabbed her backpack then headed out the door and into Zoo's car. He drove around Paterson, making several swerves. Then they headed to a shoe store.

Layla hadn't purchased any new shoes in a while, so she was kind of excited. Zoo tried on a few shoes, purchasing three pairs. Meanwhile, Layla picked up three pairs as well, one being for her little sister. Zoo was impressed by her taste in shoes, he loved Jordans. For them to have something in common was shocking to him. They got their boxes heading back to Zoo's car.

"Who's the little one for?" Zoo asked driving down a few blocks towards a fast food place.

"My little sister,"

He nodded then kept driving. They soon pulled up to the place, buying their food then sitting at a booth. Both sat in awkward silence eating their food till Layla decided to spark up a conversation.

"Why do people call you Zoo?" She asking sipping her sprite.

Zoo was caught off guard, but after processing they question he answered. "Cause I'm a Zoo. I do wild things. It's my street name, short for Zoovier that's what I wanna change my name to. Zoo's my lifestyle, a way of living."

"Hmm.. Interesting, I think Willie's a nice name, I like it better," Layla said nodding. Surprisingly, Zoo didn't get upset that she referred to him as Willie.

"Well we all have our opinions," he shrugged. "Why'd you move here? Out of all the places with Paterson?"

"My mom died and my father left us. Our only relative that would take us in was Tanisha and Asha's mom," Layla said bluntly. She wasn't afraid to tell her story, she honestly didnt care anymore. She really just wanted to get of that house as soon as possible.

"Damn, that's some real shit," Zoo said looking at Layla. After hearing her story, Zoo respected Layla a little more. Knowing that her life was fractured just like his, attracted him to her. He began to take a liking of Layla.

Eventually the amount of time they spent together increased. They'd hang out occasionally after school, and they soon began chilling at lunch. Zoo would often leave his crew to go sit with her. Of course his friends knew that he had begun liking her, but he still didn't admit it.

On a Friday afternoon, the crew was sitting togethee at lunch talking about a party tbey wanted to go to. Layla had just stepped into the cafeteria sitting at her usual table, by herself.

"Imma talk to y'all bout it later," Zoo said getting up and dapping up the boys, then side hugging the twins.

"Fuck you goin?" Tanisha said rolling her eyes. Of course she was even more jealous her cousin now knowing that all of his attention was goin to her.

"He boutta go chill his girl," Monty said laughing.

Zoo pointed his middle finger at Monty, shaking his head then heading over to Layla's table.

"What's up Willie?" She smiled sipping her drink.

Again Zoov wasn't bothered by her calling him by his actual name, "Nothin, chillin."

Even though they hung out a lot, they still had a lot of awkward moments.

"Oh, I can't do the tutoring session today, cause i gotta go to the hospital to see my sister,"

"Do you need a ride?"

"Nah thanks though," Layla smiled, getting up from her seat. "I gotta go but I'll talk to you later."

Zoo nodded watching as she walked away. He went back to sit with his friends, who were making commentaries about Zoo & Layla.

After school Layla headed to the hospital to see her sister, but she didn't know that she'd be speaking to social worker. While Layla played with her sister, the social worker had walked into the field.

"Layla Mayfield, nice to finally meet you," the social worker said shaking her hand. Layla didn't say anything. "How did she end up in here? Your aunt must not be taking care of you, huh?"

Layla was attacked with numerous questions, but she didn't answer any of them. Most of them were slandering Aunt Tasha; even though Layla hated her aunt she wasn't going to snitch on her own family. Eventually, the social worker got tired of not getting any responses from Layla so she left.

After spending time with Shayla, Layla decided to go home since she had a lot of homework.

Zoo, was going through hell too. While he was out, his mother had found a dime in his room, which was a small amount of weed. She instantly assumed that it was Willie's, she knew that her other son, Myles, would never wrong. But she was wrong, Willie never brought his drugs home, he carried either had it on him or his car.

As soon as Zoo came in the house, his mother was sitting in the kitchen with the dime on the counter.

"Willie come in here," She called from the kitchen.

"What's up ma?" He said cheerfully.

"What is this?" She asked seriously.

"Ugh weed,"

"Exactly.. I found this in your room, you know damn well I don't tolerate drugs in this home. You ever here bringin in drugs now, just like your father. Instead of focusing in school you here dealin.. you think I don't know?" She began yelling.

"Ma it's not mine, they aren't mine," He wasn't lying, and the fact that his mother didn't believe him made him mad. "I been focusing in school ma."

"Now you standing over here lying?!?"

Mid-argument his younger brother had walked in. Zoo knew it was his just by how guilty he looked, but he loved his brother more than anything, so he wasn't going to snitch on him.

"I want you out of this house!!"

"What?! Ma chill, you don't mean that..." Zoo said looking at his mother wide eyed.

"I mean it Willie, I want you to pack your stuff and go. You not doin good in school, you doin drugs what kind of example is this for your siblings."

"Fine I'll go, but when you strugglin wit these bills, you gon remember who helped you," Zoo said storming upstairs packing clothes and shoes.

Myles felt guilty not saying anything, he went to the room that he shared with his older brother trying to apologize, but Zoo wasn't having it. He packed most of his clothes and shoes, placing them in his car. Then drove off. He couldn't believe his own mother had kicked him out the house. He was doing so well in school getting ready to show his mom his progress report, but now it was pointless. Before leaving he left it on her vanity, shaking his head.

***
Check out: fettywvp1738.tumblr.com
Tumblr: xgoldenvibesx.tumblr.com
Twitter: __ashhhh