5. smells like teen spirit

"Isn't it funny how day by day nothing changes, but when you look back, everything is different"- C

- C.S. Lewis

~~~~~~

Cassie Avery

"I'm so glad you're getting to take potions with us now, Cassie", Onyx praised, swinging her arms around me and Blaise. "Now the six of us at least have one class all together".

"I'm already liking Slughorn more than Snape", Blaise agreed.

"If I was smart enough I would have been able to take potions with you in the first place", I sighed, leaning against the wall as we lined up outside the potions classroom. "I have no chance at my NEWTs".

"You are smart, Cassie", Enzo relaxed into the space next to me.

"I only passed 3 OWLs last year", I scoffed. "And Snape's making me resit Herbology, Divination and Charms so I'm stuck with the 5th years for those. Definitely not smart".

"The only reason you didn't pass your OWLs is because you and Theo decided you would rather get drunk and watch the rest of us study than pick up a book yourselves", Enzo continued. "You're one of the smartest people I know".

"I was kind of hoping Potter would resurrect another dark wizard and get our exams cancelled". I shot daggers in Theo's direction. "And I thought me and Theo were in the same boat but he managed to get the highest grade in our year for almost every exam".

Theo held his hands up in surrender. "I can't help that I'm a natural genius".

"Sure, head boy", I snapped as Enzo rubbed my shoulders.

Before Theo could respond, Professor Slughorn swung the door open, inviting us all in. He gathered us around a table at the front of the classroom.

"I prepared some concoctions this morning", he gestured at the various substances on the table. "Any ideas what these might be?".

He had barely had a chance to finish his question before Hermione Granger's hand shot into the air. I rolled my eyes. I would be lying if I said it wasn't the tiniest bit irritating the way she would never give anyone a chance to answer. No wonder Gryffindor always wins the house cup.

She began to rattle off a list of all the potions on the table, going into great detail that absolutely nobody asked for about the properties of each one. She gestured to the cauldron towards the end of the table, "That one's amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumoured to smell differently for each person based on what attracts them".

Slughorn nodded in approval, "Now amortentia doesn't create actual love, that would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. For that reason it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room".

He chuckled as he noticed all the Gryffindor girls creeping forward, trying to get a sniff of the potion. "Now, now ladies. I will let you all have the opportunity to smell it in a moment." He picked up a tiny vial of liquid in the centre of the table. "But before that, our final curious little potion, Felix Felicis, or liquid luck. One sip and you should find all of your endeavours succeed".