9. high and dry

TW - alcohol and drug use

"You drink a little too much and try a little too hard

"You drink a little too much and try a little too hard. And you go home to a cold bed and think, that was fine. And your life is a long line of fine."
- Gillian Flynn

~~~~~~

Cassie Avery

"I fucking love Ravenclaw parties", Onyx declared, throwing back another shot of firewhiskey. "Are the boys just meeting us there?".

She passed the bottle to me. I could barely feel the burning sensation as the liquid made its way down my throat, which meant I was probably already a bit drunk. "Apparently we always make them late". I gestured towards the clock.

Her eyes widened. "Shit, I didn't realise we were that late". She jumped up. "Let's go".

I nodded, stumbling to my feet. She paused.

"What's wrong?", I raised my eyebrows.

"Dean's not going to be able to stay away from you in that dress", she grinned, grabbing my arm.

"For the millionth time", I groaned as she dragged me out of the common room, "I don't like Dean like that".

"But you have chemistry together", she continued to pull me down the hall, as I struggled to keep up with her.

"Really? I thought it was potions".

"Oh Merlin you've been spending too much time with Enzo. That sounded exactly like one of his shitty jokes", she pretended not to laugh. "Can you walk any slower?".

I tried to pick up my pace but my legs felt like jelly. "I'm going as fast as I can".

We tried our best to stay silent as we made our way through the corridors. Not that the teachers would care. I'm sure they were very aware what we got up to at the weekends and just chose to turn a blind eye. Trying to stop teenagers from drinking was a pretty impossible task.

We finally arrived at the Ravenclaw common room. Their head boy nodded at us, and pushed the portrait open.

As we stepped inside, we were immediately met by electric blue flashing lights. The music was so loud I could feel it vibrating in my ears. We slowly began to push our way through the crowd looking for the boys.

"Half of Hogwarts must be here", Onyx yelled to me.

I looked over at the swarm of people dancing at the far end of the room. She was right.

I looked to my left and saw a Ravenclaw seventh year, holding test tubes full of a shimmery liquid.

"Moonshine?", she offered. "It's strong though. I wouldn't mix it with anything else".

Onyx shook her head. "Maybe later. I think Theo has stuff for us".

I thanked the girl and took one anyway. I winced at the taste of it, almost choking. I would personally rather drink troll piss. Onyx raised her eyebrows at me before turning her attention back to finding the boys.