7. linger

"I can't exactly describe how I feel but it's not quite right

"I can't exactly describe how I feel but it's not quite right. And it leaves me cold."
- F. Scott Fitzgerald

~~~~~~

Cassie Avery

"Draco come dance with me", Theo demanded, to which Draco shook his head violently.

I snorted. Somehow Theo had managed to get himself absolutely plastered completely on his own. Onyx, Blaise and Draco were a little bit buzzed, but nowhere close to his level. Enzo was still with the Ravenclaw girl.

Theo turned to face me. "I don't know what you're laughing at Cassie. I'm coming for you next".

I sunk back against Onyx, resting my head against her shoulder. I had tried to have a couple of drinks but I wasn't really in the mood for some reason. I glanced over at the clock on Draco's side table. 9pm. Fucking hell. They would be at this for a few more hours at least. I don't know what's wrong with me. But I had to get out of here.

"I think I'm gonna call it a night", I announced, pulling myself to my feet.

Onyx sat up. "Are you sure?", she questioned, looking a bit puzzled. It wasn't like me to want to miss out on drinking.

I nodded. "I didn't sleep great last night".

She narrowed her eyes at me, not quite believing me. She accepted my response anyway, pulling me in for a hug.

"I'll walk you to your dorm", Draco insisted, clambering to his feet.

I turned to say goodnight to the other two, but Theo had already claimed Blaise as his next dancing victim and was twirling him around the room.

Draco didn't say a word as we paced towards my dorm, his hands firmly in his pockets. Just as I was about to open my door, he put his hand on my arm.

"Are you upset at me?", he asked, his grey eyes glinting with sorrow.

"What do you mean?".

He shuffled his feet. "What I said in Hogsmeade. Is that why you're leaving early? Because you don't want to be around me?".

I felt really guilty all of a sudden. "No of course not, Draco. I honestly forgot that you had said that".

His shoulders relaxed. "Oh, okay. That's good".

I peered up at him. "I'm worried about you".

Draco tensed up again at my words. "Everything's fine. I swear".

Then he hugged me, burying his face into my shoulder. And that was the weirdest part of all. Draco isn't affectionate. I've lived with him for nearly 10 years now and in all that time he has hugged me twice. If I didn't think something was wrong with him before, I definitely did now.

He quickly pulled away, and took off briskly back to his own dorm, not uttering a word.

I shut the door behind me, and collapsed onto my bed, closing my eyes, urging my body to sleep. I tossed and turned for what felt like hours, my mind racing. But it was no use. I reached for my alarm clock and faced it towards me. 9.34pm. Fuck this.