27. that dont impress me much

"We did that often, asking each other questions whose answers we already knew

"We did that often, asking each other questions whose answers we already knew. Perhaps it was so that we would not ask the other questions, the ones whose answers we did not want to know"
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

~~~~~~

Cassie Avery

"You know, we're only going for two nights", Lorenzo grimaced as he struggled to carry my bag.

I shot him an infuriated look. "Well, you should have gave me a bit more warning that he was having a ball".

"It's not a ball. Just a party. He says it's nothing fancy".

I looked up at the house in front of me. If you could even call it a house. A palace was more fitting. Nothing fancy, my arse.

Enzo paused in front of the door. "Last chance to run away", he winked down at me.

I rolled my eyes at him but squeezed his arm reassuringly as he knocked.

I could only assume that the man stood in front of me was Enzo's father, given the fact that they were completely identical. He had the same deep brown eyes and olive skin. The same chiselled jawline. He even had the same floppy hair, only he had slicked his back.

"Ah Lorenzo! Welcome", he ushered us inside, pulling him into a hug.

"And you must be Cassandra. I'm Charles". He stretched out his hand for me to shake, which I accepted. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you. I've certainly heard a lot about you".

"Oh really?", I smirked past him to Enzo, who had shoved his hands in his pockets and was staring intently at the floor.

"It's just Cassie", he mumbled as he shuffled his feet.

I could already tell that Enzo wanted to impress his dad, as I'm sure most boys would. And as we made small talk, I could see why. Charles was very charming. He was actually very similar to Enzo in a lot of ways.

And yet all I could see in front of me was the man that had abandoned my best friend for the first fourteen years of his life.

I would be polite, I thought to myself. For Enzo's sake. But I wouldn't be letting my guard down.

Charles had a house elf show us to our rooms, which were just as extravagant as the rest of his house. I practically had to pick my jaw up from the marble floors. The Malfoy's seemed like a tent in comparison.

I had barely sat on the bed when I heard a knock on my door.

"Hi", Enzo flashed me one of his famous mischevious grins, inviting himself in.

As if I would ever say no to him.

He gestured to the room. "What do you think?".

"It's a bit small", I teased.