You're Helping Me?

Soda's POV:

When I got back from seeing Cookie, I ran up to my room and picked up a notepad. I quickly scribbled the verse I had sang last night, and grabbed my guitar to get some notes in my head. 

By the time dinner rolled around, it was done.

"Soda? Do you want dinner little buddy?" Darry asked walking in.

"Yeah, let me finish this line then I'll be there," I replied quickly, scribbling the final words. Young dumb broke high school kids.

"What are you writing?" Darry asked curiously, walking over to me.

"A song for Cookie. I'm going to sing it for her at our wedding," I replied bluntly, realizing that might be a while.

"That's nice, I'm sure she'll love it as much as she loves you," he said, walking back to the door. "I'll make a plate for you."

"Thanks Dar."

Y/n's POV:

I sat in my cell for the rest of the day. A good chunk of the morning was spent sobbing over Soda and Steve. The rest was sleeping - or at least trying too. The beds are worse then sleeping on cardboard in the lot.

The guards put food in my cell for dinner. Mushy peas with cornbread and questionable chicken. I slowly munch on the cornbread as a taller guy with a suit walked in.

"Miss Randle I presume?" He asked, walking into the cell.

"Yeah, what's it to you?" I asked, judging his fake, yet somewhat sympathetic smile.

"Jacob Newman. I'm going to be your lawyer for the case. One of my friends, Darrel Curtis, begged me to take your case on," he said sitting down.

Thank you so much Darry.

"Okay, um, I don't really know anything about this legal stuff," I said, moving a little uncomfortably.

"That's okay. I'll be meeting with you three times a week to go over details before your case," he said, taking out a notepad and a pen.

"Okay, when is the case?" I asked.

"The judge has scheduled your case for October 8th."

"Okay," I said. That's Soda's birthday.

"Okay, I want you to tell me, step by step, what happened the night of Bob Sheldon's death," he said, quickly glancing up at me.

I took a deep breath and began to tell him. "Me and my friend Johnny were talking in the lot. He was telling me 'bout how me and my finace are gonna have a real good life together," I said, starting to tear up at the fact that might never happen. 

"Anyways, my other friend, Pony, he came running over and screaming that we were gonna run away, but we couldn't make out what he was saying and he kept running so we ran after him. Well we ran until we got to the park and he started to cry and tell us what was going on. I told him it was gonna be okay and we were gonna head back home until the socs- Bob Sheldon and his crew- pulled up. A few words were exchanged, then two of them grabbed Pony, and started to drown him in the fountain. Me and Johnny were fighting them and I had stabbed Bob outta defense. He was drowning Pony and I was trying to get him off. I guess I didn't realize I had stabbed him because after I grabbed Pony from outta the fountain, I got hit in the head and blacked out."

"Okay. Ms. Randle, well, I'll meet with you on Wednesday, and we'll go over more stuff," he said getting up.

"Okay, thanks," I said, confused. Why didn't he ask about my story? Did he believe me? Did he not?

Thinking about these things made my head spin and it felt like I was going to puke. I spent the rest of the night curled up into a ball on my bed trying to keep my thoughts straight.

Pony's POV:

I haven't slept much since Cookie ran off to jail. I'm sure Johnny feels terrible. Darry isn't letting him sleep in the lot anymore, so he's been sleeping on the couch. Steve hasn't been around much, and when he has, he's looming around the phone.

"Pony! Come on, dinner," Darry says from the kitchen. He's been nicer since Cookie. I think he's just too tired to fight. Or he's scared I'll run again and someone else will end up in jail or hurt.

I walked to the kitchen and sat down next to Soda and Two with Johnny across me.

"Hey Soda, you wanna share the song you were writing for Cookie after dinner?" Darry asked pouring soup into our bowls.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, sure. I can do that," he says picking up and spoon and spinning it in the soup. 

We sat there, slowly picking at the soup quietly. There wasn't much to say. Suddenly the phone ran and we all jumped up as Soda ran to get it.

"Hello?" He asked eagerly.

"Oh, uh, yeah, he's here," he said passing the phone to Darry. "It's Cookie's lawyer," he mouthed.

"How's it going?" Johnny asked quietly.

"I don't know, he just said he was Cookie's lawyer and that he needed to speak with Darry," Soda said, slowly sitting down.

"That's good. ... Okay. We'll be there. ... I hope so too. Okay, thanks again Jacob," Darry said putting down the phone.

"So?" Two asked.

"Her trial's going to be October 8th, and he thinks she'll have a good shot at winning since it was out of self-defense. But if she doesn't then probably around six months in jail," he said sitting back down.

"SIX MONTHS?!" Soda screamed getting up. "Six months?!" He said again, his voice wavering a little.

"Look Soda, I'm not happy about it either, but it's better than life," Darry said sighing.

Soda ran away, while the rest of us quietly ate our soup for the rest of the night.