Why Did You Run?

Y/n's POV:

"What happened Cookie? Please tell me. You know I would never let anyone or anything hurt you," Steve said as he pulled me into his arms. I allowed a few tears to slip as we sat there for a few minutes on the cold, hard, tile floor.

"We were talking," I started. "I remembered from earlier when Sandy begged for him to take her back, he said he liked someone new. I was curious," I said, letting a sob slip. Steve hugged me tighter. "I was just curious, on who she was. So I asked him." I was fully crying now.

It took a couple of minutes, but I was able to get myself to calm down so I could finish talking. "He started to go on about how beautiful she was. How she could take all his pain away in one smile."

"Oh Cookie, I'm sorry," Steve said as he pulled me so close to him to the point where I couldn't breathe.

"Steve...I...can't...breathe.."

"Oh sorry Cookie."

As he loosened his grip on me, I slipped a few M&Ms in my mouth, remembering what Mary had told me at the Dairy Queen. He's totally in love with you. I wish. If only a guy like Soda would love a girl like me.

Soda's POV:

As Steve walked away, I could only think about one thing. Cookie. She's beautiful. Every time she smiles, I feel safe. No other girl has made me feel that way. Not even Sandy. I'm not sure she feels the same way though. I mean I hope she does. But who am I kidding? Sure, I'm good looking, but could I ever get a girl like to love a guy like me?

After I finished up at the DX, I grabbed some M&Ms, locked up, and started to head home. Maybe I should visit Cookie. Steve said she wasn't feeling well. Maybe we can talk about what happened last night. My heart hurt thinking about how she ran away, crying. She means the world to me. I hate seeing her cry.

I walked up to the Randle house, and knocked on the door. Steve answered.

"Hey Steve, how's Cookie?"

"She's been better," he said. There was almost a hint of anger in his voice.

"Can I talk to her? I brought her some more M&Ms. I figured she probably ate the ones you took to her this afternoon."

"That's real nice of ya Soda. I'm not sure she's up for visitors though. Let me ask."

He opened the door a little more to invite me in. He closed it behind me, and walked over to Cookie's room. I could hear some talking, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. A couple minutes later, Cookie walked down the hall. She looked a mess. Her eyes were swollen and red, her face was tear stained, and Steve was helping her over.

"Hey Cookie, how are you? I brought some more M&Ms," I said sheepishly.

She looked up at me and started to say something, but stopped herself. "Thanks," she said, taking the pack and turning to Steve. "I think I can handle myself now, you can go do whatever your stupid brain thought was a good idea beforehand. I'll be fine."

Steve walked out of view, and into the kitchen. Cookie turned to me, and a tear fell from her eye.

"Cookie? What's wrong? Why did you run last night? You know I hate seeing you like this."

"Soda..," she said, but started to cry uncontrollably. Steve peaked his head in from the kitchen. I gave him a reassuring look, and turned back to Cookie. I pulled her into a hug, but she pushed away.

"I can't do this," she exclaimed as she tried to run back to her room, but fell on the ground. Steve sprinted from the kitchen to her side, before I got the chance to. He picked her up, and carried her to her room.

"I love you, Cookie," I whispered to myself as I saw myself out. I silently cried the whole walk home, and I didn't care who saw me. I couldn't bare to see Cookie like that.

When I walked into the house, I made eye contact with Darry for a split second, before running to my room. He knocked, but I didn't answer. I just wanted to be alone right now.

Y/n's POV:

I couldn't handle seeing Soda. I thought I was ready. But I wasn't. Seeing him brought me back to last night.

"Cookie, I know you want to tell Soda how you feel. But you can't do that because his fave brings you back to last night. So, why don't you write him a letter? I'll give it to him for you. That way, you can tell him how you feel, without having to see his face."

"Damn Steve," I said as I looked up to him. "I never knew you could actually come up with good ideas," I said with a smile on my face. First time since yesterday.

"Screw off Cookie," he said as he bent down to kiss my forehead. He left me alone in my room for a little bit. I grabbed some paper and a pencil, and sat down at my desk to write Soda's letter.

Dear Soda,

I'm not sure how to tell you this. I'm in love with you. I know you like that other girl, and I don't want to get in the way of that. When you saw me earlier today, your face only brought be back to that other night when you were talking about her. I realized then that I was in love with you, but I was scarred to love someone like you because how could you love someone like me?

Alex cheated on me. He abused me and cheated on me. I didn't want you guys finding out because I knew you'd do something about it. So, I covered up the scars with makeup, and pretended things were okay. I didn't even have the heart to tell Steve. I wanted to leave him, but at the same time, I thought I loved him. I didn't want anyone to get hurt, and I knew someone would if anyone found out.

Soda, I love you. But I know you love her. I don't want you to have to choose. So, pick her. She makes you happy. You said so yourself. You feel safe when she smiles at you. I hope she likes you back, she'd be stupid not to. I hope you guys have a good life together. I hope you guys get married and have kids, and get to grow old on a porch together. I hope she treats you like a king. I hope you treat her like a queen. Bye Soda.

-Cookie Randle