Dread

Itzal was pacing again and it was making Quinn fidgety. He tried his best to calm him but he was right there with him. The frustration of being cooped up here, knowing some of what Sunshine was going through while they could do absolutely nothing to stop it was clawing at his resolve.

“Quinn!” Secondo snapped. “Stop it.”

Quinn’s gaze flew to his and he scowled, feeling everyone else’s eyes on him. He’d been growling and it had clearly been irritating Secondo.

“How much longer are we going to have to wait?” he snarled, earning him a glare from Secondo.

Oops. He hadn’t meant to say that out loud. 

Quinn's stare landed on Itzal who had started pacing again and the other ghoul’s eyes flashed in agreement when they met his.

Secondo gave a weary sigh and stood, rolling his neck on his shoulders.

“The witches are on their way and then we can make our plan.”

Just then the door swung open and Earth strode in with purpose, Air following behind him.

“Update,” Earth said sharply as Air closed the study door. Everyone paid attention. “Sister Josefina has been apprehended. She tried to persuade Alpha to let her leave the grounds.”

Itzal growled at the mention of the fire ghoul and Quinn frowned, unable to recall which Sibling Josefina was.

“Sister Josefina?” he said.

“The one who Alpha is fucking,” Air said for clarification.

Of course he would know that, he made it his business to figure out who was fucking who amongst the ghouls. Quinn knew which Sibling she was. He’d caught her scent a few times on Alpha and recognised her since. He hadn’t known that was her name until just then though.

“So she thought she could persuade Alpha to let her go. Stupid human,” Quinn snarled.

The ghouls’ loyalty lay with each other first and foremost. Unless they were bonded to a human, they would always side with their brethren over one. Regardless of her recent relationship with Alpha, he would never have gone against security protocols for her.

“Well, she’s in the cells now. We searched her room. She’s definitely involved,” Earth said.

Itzal was still pacing back and forth as he took the words in and Quinn could see him working through that in his mind. He was still panicky but a slow burning anger was slowly eclipsing it.

“Did Seren identify the potions that were found?” Secondo asked. He’d been kept up to date with the situation via their phone calls.

“All three were infused with black magic. One was a sleeping potion and another was a truth serum. She wasn’t sure about the third one but Helena and her said they will figure it out ASAP.”

Secondo nodded and sighed again.

“We had better go and speak to her then,” he said.

Itzal stopped pacing and looked at Earth.

“Let me speak to her,” he said, a determined edge creeping into his voice.

Earth glanced at Quinn and Secondo, pursing his lips and humming his indecision. Secondo put his hands on his hips, regarding Itzal for a moment before he answered.

“We will go and speak to her together. But you will leave if I ask you to, do you understand?” Itzal nodded sincerely and Quinn felt his mood change now that he had a purpose. He was suddenly visibly more assertive and focused. “Earth and Itzal are to come with me to the cells then. Air and Quinn, go and find Alpha and bring him here. We need to find out what he knows about this Sister Josefina.” He looked at Quinn and his brow creased with concern. “Get something to eat first though. I think it is going to be a long day, for the quintessentials especially. We shall meet back here in an hour with Alpha.”