Chapter 1: The Offer (Ilhoon POV)

First Posted On: June 30th 2015

Last Updated On: July 11th 2015

A/N: This was back in 2008.

~ ~ ~

"AISH!" I scratched my head as I stared blankly at the board. Our seongsaengnim, Mrs Kang usually came down hard on us especially when our class was caught slacking by her one too many times. Today, she was giving us a literature lesson...and for your information...I HATED LITERATURE!

Well...not all of it. I mean it was good to learn things...but not harsly... Maybe it was more like I hated the teacher who taught the subject. Admit it, we all had that thought before.

But then there were other ways to make the class more interesting. Such as...

"Saeng!" a yeoja in my class raised up her hand and spoke. "The phrase is probably symbolic of the author's feelings about his first love."

"Excellent, Yoon Bomi ssi!" Mrs Kang was pleased.

And there you heard the example: Yoon Bomi.

You see, she and I had been attending the same school since kindergarten. And after we got paired up on the first day to be buddies, we had been inseparable since then. Our parents got to know one another too and thus they made sure to enroll us in the same elementary school.

Being together over the past six or so years certainly covered all friendship goals in many ways. We held regular house parties and sleepovers while ensuring a balance in our studies by staying back in school to complete homework and study for upcoming tests or exams. Thanks to our hard work, we also managed to be in the same middle school!

Up till now, we still saw each other as pillars of support. Even as we drifted into our own cliques, we were not afraid to hide our long-lasting friendship from our chingus.

Now where was I...?

After another half an hour more of droning from Mrs Kang, the bell finally rang for morning break. As had become custom, I waited for Bomi outside.

"Aigoo..." she was acting cocky. "Looks like someone was doing well in class again!"

"Says you..." I complained. "You practically glue yourself to that book whenever you have the chance."

"But it's my favourite!" she looked at the book she held in her hands, "You know how glad I was when Mrs Kang told us we were studying it this year?!"

Now, that was dedication...

Just then, Bomi held out her hand and faced me with a smile.

"Mwodingayo?" I asked. The way she held it out seemed to send a message.

"Hold my hand..." she spoke shyly.

"N-N-Ne?" I was taken aback by her request. "G-G-Geundae...the whole school's watching..."

"Aish..." she grumbled. "Why are you hesitant? It's not like we never held hands before! We had been doing that since kindy..."

I noticed she was blushing a little, so I commented, "Says the one who's face is as red as an apple."

"Am I?!" she was shocked. "Argh...whatever. Just hold my hand as a...chingu!"

Welp...that made the situation more comfortable.

I placed my hand around hers and we interlocked our fingers together. So, hand in hand, we headed to the cafeteria. Along the way, many students stared at us weirdly, but we were not fazed by it at all.