I Look After Him 3

PoV Cub

For a moment, freed from the room and the terror, I don't move. I just lie, panting, in Scar's arms as he hugs me, trying not to cry. I feel faint, but I don't care. I need Scar. 

'I'm here. I'm right here, Cub.' He runs a hand through my hair. 'Did- did they hurt you? Are you ok?' I have bandages...' And then Scar forces me to face him, and I see the blood covering my shirt. He turns pale. 'Oh s***, Cub. What- what did they...'

'J-just cover it for now, we'll deal with it when we're home.' I decide. 'The main concern is bloodloss.'

'Cub, we can't...'

'Scar, just cover it up!' I fumble with my shirt buttons, giving up and just tearing it open. 'Please.'

'Ok, ok I'll... I'll just... stay there, ok?' Scar forces me to stay sat down, deciding to cover my whole chest and shoulder with layers of tight bandages. If I had time, I'd tell him how to do it properly. But we don't.

'Are you alright to walk?'

'I'll manage...' He helps me up. I stagger after him towards the edge of the roof. He jumps down and I follow slower, letting him catch me.

'Police are on their way,' Scar explains. 'Called them the moment I knew you were in trouble.'

'How'd you know I was in trouble?' My biggest question rises into my mind. How did Scar get there? And so quickly as well. 'And where to find me.'

'You're not the only one with a secret tracker, Cub.' He holds up his phone. 'I realised you were gone later than normal, checked the tracker and... recognised this as Big Salmon's place. I figured you'd need help. But I never realised they'd... I was as quick as I could be. I promise. I- I could hear you refusing to answer them... I tried to shoot them sooner but I had to find a way in and by then they'd... they'd called me and...'

'Scar, hey.' I lay a hand around his shoulder. 'You saved my life, Scar. You did everything you could've.'

'I could've come quicker... realised quicker...'

'Scar, stop talking bulls***. I'm alright. I promise. Let's just get home as fast as we can. Ok?'

'Ok.'

The streets are nearly empty; it must be early morning. Just as we reach the high street, I hear the police sirens reaching Big Salmon's place.

'How's your shoulder?' I ask. 'They hit you too, didn't they?'

'It'll last the journey home. I used my crossbow anyway. Less arm movement required.'

I try to argue, but if he hadn't come over and shot those guards, I'd still be trapped in that room being cut open and bled to death. All because I went too far.

They deserve it. I decide. They deserve to feel threatened. They deserve to have Impulse hurt or killed after what they've done.

'Hey, you alright?'

I look over at Scar.

'Yeah, yeah. Just thinking...' It isn't a long journey back to our flat. Me and Scar start joking and laughing about something stupid Scar did once, and then we find ourselves back at our home.

'Your turn on the Sofa of Healing tonight,' Scar says. 'We should have blankets on here permanently.'

'Yeah...' I nod, sitting down on the edge of it. Scar throws me a blanket, but I just wrap it around myself and turn on the TV.

'It's 2am, Cub,' Scar insists. 'You need to sleep.'

'I'm not getting any sleep tonight. Might as well make that time useful... And I still need to deal with your injuries. Sit.

'Cub...'

'Scar, sit!' I repeat. Scar reluctantly obeys. I start carefully cleaning out the new cut across his arm as we watch the late-night news. Big Salmon isn't mentioned, but everything on here is-

A thud. 

A crack.

A smash of glass. 

The next thing I know the world turns to fire and Scar's pulled me to the ground, shielding me. Flames tear through the kitchen doorway. They don't reach us. Someone hammers on the door. 

'How did they find us?!' Scar questions. His eyes are wide with panic. 'How the f*** did they...' 

'We- we can get through this,' I try to calm him by saying. 'Is there any way out, or anywhere we can hide?'

'I don't know... I don't know what we can do... I don't know how they found us...'

'They must have a tracker of some kind...'

'I always thought you'd be the brains of the operation, Cub.' Skizz steps into the room through the only exit left. The front door crashes down behind us. 'While Hotguy, sorry, Scar panicked and failed to be a real superhero.'

'Get out of our house,' Scar growls. I can feel him shaking. He's terrified. I put a hand on his arm, trying to comfort him. It doesn't work; I'm just as scared as him.

'Scared for your boyfriend?' Skizz taunts. He steps closer, drawing a knife. 'Or for yourself.'

'SCAR!' It's too late to warn him. Skizz drags him to his feet, holding the knife against his neck, right as I'm pulled up, hands held behind my back, a gun to my head. Scar struggles, but he can't escape. Not without hurting himself. Dying. I don't move. Half of my brain tries to find a logical way out of this where me and Scar survive. The rest of my brain screams.

'So now we know who treats Hotguy's injuries when he gets back from a big, big mission and kisses them better. Tell me, Cub. What's the worst you've treated? How does it compare to a slit throat, while you're fighting the bloodloss of the bullet in your own neck. Who would you help first?'

'You're a monster,' I spit. 'Scar never did anything to you.'

'Scar is a murderer. He killed 3 of my friends earlier.'

'Because they were TORTUR...' the knife's held closer. Scar falls silent.

'Shhh, shhh now Hotguy. We've all heard enough from you. Parading around the streets in fancy dress shooting people. Well you're nothing but a deluded idiot who thinks he's a real superhero. You're a villain, Scar. You break into people's houses, you kill people, you threaten innocents, you provoke your enemies and then act confused when it backfires in your face. And now, in your boyfriend's face as well.' 

'You started this!' I try to protest. 'You beat him up and shot him in the shoulder, I had to do something! I couldn't let you hunt him down like animals. I tried to negotiate, Skizz. You're the one that got violent first, not us. If you'd just listened to me... this could've all be over by now.' I play my final card. 'I could've let Impulse go.'

Part 4 will be coming