Class system Pt 2

Tw: vaping (it's a school, what else would there be)

PoV: Archer/Badtimes

The next week passes without friends or enemies. Elex and his group leave me alone, though the whispers of my classmates don't. None of them question why I missed my entire first day except half of period 1. No one cares about me.

'Hey... do you have a pen I can borrow?' I ask Tuesday morning, something I'm getting used to, thanks to Elex. The guy next to me, with blond curly hair, glances over, shaking their head. I thank him anyway, failing to decipher the page of compounds in front of me instead.(I swear they also exist in English lessons). 

Then, like some miracle, a pen appears next to me with a taped message on it. I take it, wary, and all too aware of who sits behind me.

Elex.

Sorry about last monday

I was a d***

Wanna hang out this break?

-EX

F*** no.

But last time I didn't do what he wanted I was left alone and starving in a bin all day. 

But he's the worst person I've ever met.

But he gave me a pen.

But he lied on the first day too.

The thoughts don't leave me the rest of class. I'm out the classroom quick, but Elex is just as fast, calling my name.

'Archer.'

'Go away,' I reply. Whatever happens it'll end badly. I know it will.

'Alright then, Bin-boy. Are you joining or are you going to go hungry today as well?'

'What?' I turn. The corridor has cleared quickly leaving me, still nervous, and him, leaning against the lockers. Alone. The others aren't here.

'I see you every lunch. You've got no stuff to eat.'

'Because you stole it.'

'Xor stole it. Not me. Join us. It'll stop people staring, and you'll get some food.'

I don't reply for a moment, still uncertain about how friendly he's being now. 

'What's the catch?' That takes him aback.

'The catch?'

'What do you get? Because I've been around a lot of bullies like you and they don't just act nice for nothing.'

'Fine. Everyone in the group's homework, Monday morning, completed for us. Without fail. And if you abandon us, even once, you'll be in trouble. Are you happy with that?'

'So you've started being honest.'

'You get lunch, protection, and friendship.'

'I'll join you. Today. And if you're acting s***, I'm out. And- and I'll tell my big brother what you did and he'll beat you up.'

'Fine.' Elex approaches, holding out his hand. 'One day free trial of being our friend.'

I shake it.

And I don't regret it. 

For the next few weeks I hang out with my new friends, helping them with homework (as much as I can) sharing their lunch (once Xor even snuck in McDonalds for us). I hang out with them every break, every lunch, without fail, until one day when we're hanging out next to the pond at the edge of school.