Chapter Nine - The Last Person I Expected To See.

Kade

Blythe was the last person I expected to see tonight. I can't believe this is happening. How is this even possible? And why did she decide to act like she didn't know me? She could have said we have met before without going into detail. I guess I will play along and act like we are complete strangers for now. How the hell am I going to be able to focus at work if I am working with Blythe? She will distract me for sure, but I need to stay professional.

"I hope you don't mind we invited Kade along. We thought it would be a good way for him to meet everyone, especially you, since you will be working close together." Jason says to Blythe.

"No, not at all." She smiles.

"Plus, we thought he and Bethany would get along well." Jaqueline smiles.

I told Jason I wasn't looking for anyone, but he didn't listen. To be honest, I have only been around Bethany for about ten minutes, and there is nothing there. She is pretty, but she isn't my type, and she seems a little too uptight for me. She and Blythe are opposites, for sure.

"I am sure Kade has no problem getting dates by himself," Blythe says.

Bethany glared at her, not amused by her words, and scooted herself closer to me. "I am sure, but blind dates are fun." She giggles.

"Hey, if you are getting along, why not." Blythe smiles, but I swear she rolls her eyes at the same time.

I wasn't interested in Bethany before Blythe arrived, but now I am even more uninterested because Blythe is here, if possible. But I will be polite and smile because I don't want to come across as rude. I need to work with them. I don't want things to be weird, but I do not plan to see Bethany after tonight, not personally.

"Shall we order some champagne before we decide what to eat?" Jason suggests.

We all nodded. I needed a drink right now. Jason grabbed the attention of one of the waiters and ordered two bottles of their best champagne and enough glasses for everyone.

I glance over the table at Blythe. I can't help myself. She looks so damn good; it is hard to keep my eyes off her.

"Kade, are you listening?"

The sound of Bethany's voice pulls me away from Blythe and puts my attention on her.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I ask sweetly, flashing my best smile at her.

"I asked if you are excited for your new business adventure?"

"Yes, I am. I can't wait to get started." I reply brightly.

Bethany reaches in closer to me, "Just watch my sister, okay? You can be very abrupt and bossy sometimes. Don't let her treat you like crap." She whispers.

"I am sure Blythe and I will get on just fine."

I sense a hint of jealousy in Bethany's voice. I could be wrong because I don't know their relationship, but it is how it seems.

"Just be careful, okay." She whispers.

I nod and turn away from her, just in time for our champagne to arrive. Jason makes sure everyone has a glass before making a toast. I fight the urge to down the entire glass and go for seconds.

I am going to struggle tonight for sure. I hate that I need to pretend like we only met. All the while, I will be thinking about all the naughty things we did together in my hotel room, in the car and on the plane. Things I shouldn't be thinking, especially when I am sitting at the same table as her family.

"Shall we order?" Emily asks.

We all took a look at the menus and placed our orders. A part of me wanted to make an excuse to leave, but I couldn't. It would be rude and raise too many questions. I would rather not get off to a bad start. I will have to get used to being around Blythe without these thoughts since I will be seeing her every day nearly while we get things up and running.

****

The night hasn't been too bad. I was getting along with everyone. Bethany has been trying her best to steal my attention constantly. She seems to be needy, which is not something I like. I don't mind someone being a little needy, but there is a line, and I genuinely believe it would be a constant thing with Bethany.

Blythe excuses herself to use the bathroom. I wait a moment and do the same thing. I haven't had a chance to speak with only her. No one will be suspicious because we haven't given them any reason to be.

I wait outside the bathrooms, and some people give me strange looks because I am sure I look like a creep. I smile sweetly at everyone passing.

When Blythe comes out, she gives me a strange look, too, "Why are you hanging around here?"

"I was waiting for you."

"Why?" she asks confused.

"Why do you think? Why did you pretend we didn't already know one another?"

"Because it was the best thing to do. If my father worked out something happened between us, you would be a dead man. Plus, I noticed you get cosy with my sister. Bethany and I already have a strained relationship. If she found out something had happened, she would not be happy. She doesn't like to lose." She sighs.

I was right about their relationship then.

"I understand, but I am not interested in your sister, Blythe."

"Good luck trying to get rid of her now. She likes to get what she wants." She replies.

"How do I get out of this?" I groan.

Blythe shrugs, "Why don't you give it a try? Go on one date with her? She may surprise you."

I shake my head, "No because I am not interested. Not only that, but I will be thinking of you the entire time. I have been thinking about you since our time together. And then you walk in here in that damn dress." I growl.

"We had a lot of fun together, Kade, but nothing can happen between us again, no matter how badly we want it to. It will make things too complicated. Our relationship needs to be nothing more than professional."

"Really? Why?" I ask.

"Because it was for the best. We agreed when we hooked up that would be it. The fact that we are going to be around each other now doesn't change things. We need to keep it business only because if not, and things go to hell, it will be no good for anyone. If you don't want to date my sister, don't and tell her that, but don't use me as the reason in your head, Kade, because nothing can happen between us again." She says softly.

I don't have a chance to say anything else because she walks away from me. I groan in frustration and wait a minute to go back, too. It was not what I was hoping for; Blythe telling me nothing could happen between us, but I do understand. It doesn't make it any easier or stop me from wanting her.