Vent art

I think the concept of vent art is pretty well known - and misunderstood at the same time.

What you see above is, I'd say, a good representation of the kind of vent art present on social media. I drew it, but I wouldn't say it's vent art, as I didn't put any emotions into it, at all. My personal vent art looks completely different but is either too personal or too graphic for me to feel comfortable posting.

It's not really trend.
Especially on Tiktok and Pinterest are many posts about vent art and it's always the same: eyes, mushrooms and black scribbles. There are videos with "Ideas for your vent book" and people showing off their aesthetic work.
Don't get me wrong, inspiration for art is great and so is having an aesthetic style. Generally speaking.
Both can be used in vent art, but aren't necessary.
The videos often say "not a trend", the comments criticize it were one. As with most things, vent art itself isn't a trend but can be used as one. And because you usually can't know the creators intentions you shouldn't judge.

The whole point of vent art is to get out your emotions/trauma/thoughts/... via art.
Vent art isn't a trend, edgy, emo or cool.
Vent art doesn't mean a note book filled with pen drawings of weird eyes.

So what is vent art then? Anything that works for you.
Maybe that is eyes, actually. But don't draw them to fit in, draw to cope with your feelings in your own, personal way.

Vent art and a vent book aren't the same thing either.
Vent art could also be sculpting or song writing. And a vent book can be a plain diary, for example.
I have a vent (art) book myself and there's all kind of stuff in there. Diary entries, reasons to live, my very first poem, ripped up pages, aesthetic art in many different styles and really ugly art.

It's also not inherently good or bad.
Some people promote vent art, others say it's a "bad" way to cope with emotions because you focus on the bad and might just get worse.
Again, it's not about vent art itself (as this is a very broad concept) but how you use the art.
If you just write negative phrases down it can have a bad effect. If you keep telling yourself bad things you probably will believe them.
But if you already do that it can help to let it all out. If you're angry better hurt the post than yourself, right? And if you don't know what you're feeling or it's all too much/chaotic art can help as well.

If you create something and realize it made you feel worse feel free to destroy it. Rip it up or even safely(!) burn it to "let go".
I did/do that too. I drew a former bully, it made me angry, I destroyed the drawing and put it in the trash. A week later I drew him again, but that time not realistically but caricatured. And that felt good.
You have to find out what works for you, how you can approach your struggles and still get better.
I recommend making art about positive things as well, maybe even in a second book. I struggle with my childhood, so I recently took an old canvas and made it into a multi-media piece about just positive memories.

So, what can vent art be besides the common subjects?
- an abstract self portrait
- painting of how you feel
- portrayal of your mental illnesses
- a collage
- drawings of your dreams
- paintings of places you associate with trauma
- depiction of trauma itself
- caricatures of bullies
- a music cover you identify with
- literally anything that feels right or just worth trying

One last point: Art supplies.
You can use anything, let it be high quality water colors or these pens you get as advertisement. If you want you can use "childish" mediums like cheap water color, crayons, felt-tip pens and bright colors. That can help to reduce pressure to make "good" or "pretty" art while you can connect to your inner child (tbh, I struggle with the while inner child concept, but it's still fun to try out "childish" things again).