Long Insomnia

Heka woke up and felt confused a bit. It was obvious that he was at the mall. At that moment, he was standing opposite the person who was pushing him. But he was in a room suddenly.

He realized that he was laying. His eyes looked around. There were two people on his right side who were also laying down. It made him sure that he was in the hospital. Unfortunately, he didn’t know why.

In his mind full of questions. “Why am I here? What exactly happened? Then, where was that boy?” Then, he heard a familiar voice.

“Heka, finally you wake up. You had slept more than twelve hours. Uncle and aunt are on the outside. They are chatting with a old man and I don’t know who he is. But I heard that his grandson is also there. His room is next door. Do you need my help to call uncle and aunt?”

The voice turned out to be his cousin, Navi. He was busy and enjoying the game on his phone. However, he also realized that Heka had woken up.

Then Heka got up and said, “No thanks.” He looked at the windows. The weather at outside was bright and sunny. Then, he got out of bed and walked to the balcony. He left Navi, who was busy with his game.

While he was enjoying the warmth of the morning sun, suddenly his eyes stared in one direction that might be the answer to what exactly happened.

The person who was with him yesterday. He was sitting on the balcony next door. He was reading a book. Although he was very dazzling yesterday, he could clearly see that person’s face.

Heka looked at him carefully. He felt sure that that person was the boy who was suddenly in front of him yesterday. His body looked very weak and powerless.

He really hoped that the boy realized that he was watching him. At that time, he would approach him. Then, his mother came. He woke up from his daydream.

“I feels glad that you’re okay, my dear. The doctor said if you just slept. Your sleep was very long last night. I hope this is a sign that you can sleep regularly for this night, the next and forever.”

His mother realized that he had been watching the boy on the balcony next door. Then she explained the person’s condition, “The boy just become conscious. He had a tumor on his neck. He was in a coma for two days after surgery. Do you know him?”

”No.” Heka replied.

There was something weird. He was very sure that the person on the balcony was the boy from yesterday. It was so unreasonable and unbelievable.

“Just for one night there were so many things happening. And there was no sense. Should I find it out or just let go.”

All of that was so confusing and annoying for Heka. It was because for the first time he had experienced something that had really no sense.

****

Heka was in the hospital. He focused on his laptop. His occupation was transcriber.

Although he was in the hospital, he only focused on his job. Because it was the only thing that could distract him from all the things that made him bothered. It was haunted in his mind. At least there was something that made him forget it. It was even for a moment.

A transcriber was indeed suitable for him. His bad insomnia was the only reason behind it. He rarely fell asleep and it had been some years. So, he had a long time at night.

Meanwhile, being a transcriber was more than a full-time job. The important thing for a transcriber was to be able to complete it according to the deadline.

Because, he was too focused on work. He almost didn’t expect that twilight had come.

Although he was in the hospital and needed treatment for his insomnia, his mother let him finish his job. He also told Navi, his brother, to go home just to bring his laptop.

Actually, his condition was fine, and it was possible to go straight home without hospitalization. Because he had a very long history of fatal insomnia, he was forced to be hospitalized. It was to find out the progress of his sleeping routine.

Then he started to stop for a moment from his job and entered to search engine. He hoped what happened to him yesterday could be answered.

Unfortunately, he didn’t know the right keywords. He also didn’t has friend or anyone who knew and might be able to answer all his questions. Almost of them did not believe in any magical and wizard at all.

Heka also muttered, “Indeed, no one believes metaphysical things or wizards. I’m sure that everyone will laugh at me if I tell them for what I encountered yesterday.”

Hence, he didn’t say to the parents or doctor who treated him what he had encountered. He just felt lucky that the person who he met yesterday in the mall was treated in the next room. Luckily, he was not allowed to go home yet either. So, he had time to approach him.

“Maybe I should approach that boy tomorrow early in the morning. And then I will find out what exactly occurred yesterday.”

Nowadays, it was what he thought. He gave up searching all about magic or wizard things.

Every time, he typed the magic keyword, all that appeared was an annoying magic trick. Moreover, he didn’t expect the alternative choices to appear at all. It was the Magic Shop, a song from BTS, games about magic, various kinds and films entitled In Magic.

“Heka, close your laptop, eat first and then take the medicine.” His mother reminded him that night had come. He did not realize that it was already 07.00 at night.

 “Okay,” he answered.

“After this, I will go home. So you will be alone here tonight. Is it okay for you?”

“Yes, don’t worry about me.”

“I will come early tomorrow morning. Hopefully, tonight you can sleep well. The doctor said that if you don’t have insomnia tonight, maybe you can go home tomorrow.” She explained.

He didn’t know why home had become a terrible thing. Although it was very good news. Heka just remembered something.

He was lost in his mind for a while, “Yes, it’s true that there is something that I haven’t finished yet. It is him. I must to get the answer tomorrow.”

“ Mom, you should go home.” Heka said to his mother.

The word did sound like shooing her away. But he didn’t want to see his mother felt tired of keeping him in the hospital. It would better for her to take a rest at home. See could sleep in bed. It was better that slept on the hospital.

After his mother went home, Heka went to the balcony. He looked at the balcony next door and hoped the boy would also see the night sky from the balcony. His mind was so amassed and uncontrollable.

He felt that he was controlled by his very trivial ambitions. He might ignore it all. However, his concern forced him to do it. It made him be sure for what he would do, it had a connection with all his struggles.

“I don’t know what the mistakes I have made in the past or in my previous life. I feel all this torments me slowly and almost kill me. If it is true that I have made an unforgivable mistake, I will accept this punishment at all.

No, it is not right, and I didn’t make any mistakes in my previous life. Because I was born an ordinary human.

But all that happened to me. It is like a curse. Who did it to me? And why did he do this to me and make me struggle?”

Unfortunately, for what happened , it was not something he expected. He had been standing on the balcony for almost an hour. No one left the room.

“Of course, everyone is sick here. There’s no patient who comes out at night. Even it’s just for standing a while on the balcony. Probably, I’m the only one who has a odd disease ever. Although it looks very trivial. It has been torturing me for 6 years. It makes me struggle.”

Heka was cold and entered the room quickly. He closed the door tightly and laid back on his bed.

For a moment, he was pensive. He thought that this time he might be able to sleep or would stay up all night again. All he could do was try to close his eyes and fell into sleep.