53.

23/3/2024 - saturday
wembley stadium, london

"HERE," Trent tapped the girl on the shoulder, holding out a cup of beer towards her. She smiled and grabbed the cup from his hand, taking a sip. Noticing a matching cup in his hand, she gave the England player a knowing look.

"Should you even be drinking that?" she teased, watching him take a sip of his drink. Trent shook his head, sitting beside her and letting out a comfortable sigh.

"One beer's not going to kill me," he said with a cheeky grin and a wink. She rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to the pitch as the groundskeepers watered the grass in preparation for the upcoming match.

The two footballers had agreed to sit together during the game, enjoying each other's company.

Chandler was grateful for the company, as no one else had come to the match. Her parents and John's family were planning to attend the next England match, leaving her to support her brother alone.

She placed her cup in the holder and pulled her jumper off in one smooth motion, revealing the England kit she wore underneath.

"Whose jersey are you wearin'?" Trent asked, unable to see the number on her back. Chandler smiled and turned away from him, revealing her brother's number 5 and the name "Stones" printed across her shoulders.

Trent grinned at how sweet it was to see her support her teammate.

"So, you're adopted then?" he asked, starting a conversation. Chandler laughed at the way he phrased it.

"Why do you say it like that?" she asked, glancing at him. Trent simply shrugged, his curiosity piqued.

"Just askin' like," he replied.

"Yeah, I'm adopted," she confirmed, taking another sip of her beer. She pulled her feet up to her chest, resting the soles of her sneakers on her seat.

"From South Africa?" he clarified. Chandler nodded.

"I was five," she answered.

"So you remember a bit of South Africa, then?" he asked, intrigued by the conversation. It had come as a surprise to most of the England players that John had a sister, let alone one who played football.

A few of the older players, like Walks, Tripps, and Raz, knew her from when she was a teenager.

Chandler shook her head at Trent's question, unsure how to respond.

"Just a bit," she sighed. "Over the years, I've forgotten some."

"Be sound if you played for England, you know. You were really good in the final," he said.

"Not good enough," she sighed, and Trent shook his head.

"Don't be too harsh on yourself. You've got plenty of time to grow," Trent reassured her. "You've got potential."

"Thanks, Trent," Chandler said, appreciating his support.

Down on the pitch, a couple of the players decided to do a brief lap of the pitch. Conor, Ben, Phil, Jude, and Ramsdale decided to walk together, the group of boys talking amongst themselves. As the Arsenal goalkeeper split from the group, Phil decided to bring up a conversation, looking at Conor.

"I heard Chan came last night," Phil said, a teasing smirk playing on his lips. Conor laughed sheepishly and nodded, knowing Phil had probably found out from either Ben or John. The memory of last night's outing made him grin, although he had tried to keep it low-key.

"So, I'm assuming she's here now?" Phil continued, his gaze shifting to the stands. The stadium wasn't crowded, given that there was still an entire hour before the match would begin. Ramsdale sported a confused expression as he joined the group once more, curious about the ongoing conversation.