Goodbye

Sitting across from Lacey and looking at her tanned and beautiful smile makes me warm inside. She's always going to be my best friend. She's always going to be my family. I will always love her no matter how much she hates me. And I am madly in love with her dad.

She rubs her hand across her forehead in disgust and annoyance. "Dad..." She points at the front door. "I'm just as disappointed with you, but you get a fucking pass! Go eat some breakfast somewhere or go buy some tools...whatever it is you do."

I'm nervous as fuck. I'm sitting here with my hands in my lap, my eyes slightly bulging while trying not to stare at Lacey. I'm hoping this is her telling me everything is going to be okay, but deep down I know that's unlikely.

Ryan kisses her forehead, and she doesn't look impressed. His lips curl into a smile. "Hate me or not, you're a daddy's girl. And I love you too."

"Bye!" She snaps but with a hint of calmness in her tone. "Leave us be."

It's been two months since I've seen or talked to Lacey. It's been two months that she took her savings and spent it in the Bahamas. She's always had that planned out, just sooner than we all thought, and for good reason. Finding out your father and best friend are not only fucking but madly in love with each other. Fuck! I haven't even heard from Macey since then! Claire and Becca still come around. I honestly think Becca is jealous.

Ryan leaves, closing the door and bringing my attention back to Lacey and her glare. "Kids!" She snaps. "We were fucking kids! My dad took care of you several times...like a fucking father would!"

"Do you think I wanted this?" I 'word vomit' and want to slap my hand over my mouth. I don't want to start a fight with her.

Her tongue plays with the roof of her mouth, and she crosses her arms. She's holding back from really going off on me, but she has every right to. So, what's holding her back?

"I don't know what you wanted, Hannah! But it wasn't supposed to be my fucking dad! How did this even begin..." She pauses. "Never mind I don't want to know how you two slept together. Claire explained some of it and I made her shut up!"

My heart pounds a little faster. "Lacey, I..."

"I'm not done!" She snaps again, her eyes slowly losing that glare and looking a little calmer. "I'm disgusted to think about my dad's sex life. I'm ever more disgusted to know it's with you. What happened that 'blackout' drunken night that Claire told me about? If I had ever found out. Fine! Whatever! I could have moved on from that. Shit happens in life. But no! You didn't want to stop there!"

"Yes, I did!" I argue, trying my best to remain calm. "I tried stopping there! Your dad tried stopping there!"

"Why didn't you two! Why didn't you guys fucking stop while you had the chance! Instead of fucking falling in love with him and making him fall madly in love with you!"

I look down in defeat, trying my best not to fight with someone who was my best friend. I will always love her, and I hope we can somehow get past this, but uncertainty looms right now.

"Lace! I can't explain how the universe physically brought us together without you getting disgusted and you wouldn't even believe me!"

"I don't want to hear about it either!" She argues. "But try me! Please! Please! Help me understand how you two of ALL PEOPLE on this planet managed to fall in love! Why?"

I sigh and prepare myself to try to explain all of it. "I'll get straight to the main points," I say and shake my head knowing she's going to be disgusted.

"Well!" She scoffs and throws her leg over her other one and I watch as she moves her foot like she's impatient.

"The one night he and I tried staying away from each other to remove any type of feelings, everything that could go wrong did go wrong! And I promise you, Lacey! We tried to stay away! We both fought!"