Fourth of July

Patrick spread out a blanket on the ground, which was wet from the dew.  "This should be a good spot,"  He said, laying down on it. 
You laid down next to him and said, "I can't believe that we're already spending our first major holiday together!"  The two of you had been dating for a month now, even though you had both been best friends for seemingly forever. 
"Me either, Sugar."  He replied, smiling brightly at you. 

"The past month has seemed to fly by so fast."  You said, rolling over on your back and putting your arms behind your head. 
He did the same thing and said, "That's what happens with love."  Your eyes widened at his words.  Did he just tell me he loved me?  You thought, having mixed emotions. 
You both had agreed to take it slow, but was he really already telling you that?  Of course, you already knew that you loved him, but you hadn't told him yet. 

Suddenly, you heard a boom and the fireworks began.  Thankfully, they got rid of the awkward silence that had fallen between the two of you.  You looked at Patrick in the corner of your eye and noticed that he looked very nervous.
"Hey,"  You said as you rolled over to face him.  "Is something up?" 
He looked over at you and swallowed hard.  "N-no,"  He stammered out, which you knew that it meant something was wrong.
"Come on, what is it?"  You asked again, glancing up at the fireworks.

"Let's just watch the fireworks,"  He said as you sat up and looked up into the sky.
You sighed and continued to watch them. 

The show went on for about 30 minutes.  'Oohs' and 'Ahs' came from you and Patrick after a really big one.  Then, it was the grand finale.  It seemed that they lit 20 at once as they exploded in the sky.  After that, everyone began to clap.

"That was awesome!"  You exclaimed, clapping along with the crowd. 
Patrick didn't say anything, he just clapped.  Just then, you heard another firework pop and saw one flying up into the sky. 

I love you, {Y/N}

That is what it said.  In bright {Your favorite colors}. 

"P-Patrick?"  You stuttered out, looking over at him as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck.
"I'm such an idiot, I should have never done that."  He instantly began to apologize.  "I'm s-sorry.  SO sorry, you probably want to break up now."
You still stared at him, shocked.  "What are you talking about?  Of course I don't want to break up with you!"
"But... for the first time to say I love you... that was kind of over the top."  He replied, giggling with a shaky voice.
You stood up, and so did he.  "No, it was the most romantic thing anyone could have ever done."  You said, then you began to kiss him.

People around you clapped and whistled for you.  And suddenly, Andy, Pete, and Joe came over. 
"Good job, Man!"  "I knew you could do it!"  "It worked!"  They all began to congratulate Patrick, patting his back. 
Patrick laughed and said, "I'm so glad that's over."
"Me too,"  Joe said, Pete and Andy nodded in reply.  "He's been annoying us about it for the past 4 months."  Pete said.

You laughed at all of them and laid your head on Patrick's shoulder.

"I love you too,"  You finally whispered into his ear.

"You and I are fireworks."  He whispered back to you.

(Sorry this is a day late!)