Chapter 20

"What about these earrings?" Jada asked as she dangled a pair of hoops in front of my face.

I nodded. "Definitely those."

She beamed as she slipped them in her ears. "Mmmhmm, aren't they cute? Got them on sale last week."

"They are cute." I agreed.

She walked over to the body length mirror hanging up on her wall and checked herself out. I laughed when she did a twirl. "Isn't my whole outfit giving you life right now?"

Jada smoothed her hands over her high waisted faux leather pants which she paired with a white, long sleeved crop top sweater that peeked at her belly button every time she moved. The top went nicely with her short, leather coat and chunky, oxblood colored Doc Marten boots. A round, golden pendent hung between her breast. I watched her slip on a black, beanie which complimented her signature pixie cut. I loved how her outfit was cute but low key which was always good for a first date.

"You're giving me all types of life." I chuckled before sitting down on her bed and sliding myself back against her pillows near her headboard. I crossed my socked feet and got comfortable.

She playfully wiped imaginary dust from her shoulders. "Why thank you. I try, I try."

I rolled my eyes at her. "You're too much."

"Whatever, you love me." She neatly smeared some lipstick on her lips. "What do you think? Too harsh?"

I eyed the deep, red lipstick for a few moments before deciding. "Yeah no, go for something a little more...subtle. Some lipgloss would be perfect."

Jada glanced in the mirror again before nodding. "Yeah you're right. I know just the one I want to wear too!"

She scurried into the small bathroom connected to her room. While she rummaged through her many shelves of makeup I picked up my phone and glanced down at the screen. My finger hovered over my lock screen hesitantly. I had turned off my app notifications a while ago. Since it came out that I was pregnant with Zeke Morgan's baby everyone had swarmed my social media pages with questions that I didn't want to answer.

"So how's the new job?" Jada called from the bathroom.

I shrugged as if she could see me. "I really like it. Leah, my manager, she's so chill. She's only a few years older than us but she's really cool. And there's this girl I work with named Gem. She keep me cracking up during shift—"

"Found it!" Jada exclaimed as she came out of the bathroom. "How are the customers?"

I put my phone down. "I haven't gotten cussed out or slapped yet so that's good." I joked.

Jada chuckled. "Just you wait. The customers with attitudes will be arriving soon. Remember when I was practically begging for another job? Well, your girl is flipping patties now."

This time I chuckled. "Where at?"

Jada pointed to the east side of her room as if the place was right outside. "At that burger joint on Rushmore Road. Girl, it is the most ratchet place I've ever worked in."

I lifted one curious eyebrow. "Worst than McDonald's?"

Jada shrugged one shoulder. "Not worse than Mickey D's but it's a close second. The customers are annoying and rude. My coworkers are loud and lazy and our manager is never anywhere to be found. He's either really late or hiding in the back office. Half the time I feel like I'm running the place and I've only been on shift for a week now."

I sighed empathetically. "Damn J. Maybe you should start looking for another job?"

Jada applied the gloss then rubbed her lips together. "Girl, I already am! They're not about to work me to death when there are able bodies standing around doing nothing."