Chapter 32

Hey guys, there's three weeks left in the semester.

I'll have a break soon and then the updates will be more frequent.

Be patient.

Here it is.

Enjoy.

Aside from his parents, Elijah was the first to visit Jeremy.

He didn't like the feeling of sitting on the opposite side of the holding cell and he really didn't like the attitude coming from the guards who regarded him as if he were toilet tissue on the bottom of their shoes but he sucked it up because he was here to get some answers for Zeke.

Shortly after Elijah sat down in the hard, plastic chair in front of the glass which kept him from physically being able to touch Jeremy, his teammate was escorted by a guard to the plastic chair on the other side. His jersey peeked from under the joggers and the black t-shirt he was wearing. He looked surprised that Elijah was sitting across from him.

"Hey." Elijah leaned forward crossing his arms across the metal perch in front of him.

"What are you doing here?" Jeremy's voice was reserved but rough.

Elijah cleared his throat. "Why wouldn't I come see my friend?"

Jeremy sniggered. "Oh we're friends?"

"I never stopped being cool with you," Elijah answered. "Whatever beef you have with Zeke had nothing to do with me."

"Don't play," Jeremy shook his head. "You and Zeke have always been tight."

"We all were friends until you did the foul shit you did to get you in here." Elijah countered.

"No we were friends until Zeke cheated on my sister." Jeremy spat back. "He didn't care about her or our friendship so why should I care?"

Elijah watched him for a moment then sat back in the metal chair. "You went too far Jeremy."

"I gave her what was coming to her."

"Symone didn't do anything to you." Elijah shook his head. "Her sleeping with Zeke was his and Amber's issue. You had no right and no business putting your hands on her."

Jeremy stood up angrily. "So what you came to give me some type of moral speech? Cuz' if that's what you're on you can leave."

"Sit down man," Elijah took a deep breath. "I'm here to figure out what's really going on with you man."

Jeremy's expression was taken aback but it just as quickly took on a hardened humor as he sat back down. "Alright Dr. Phil. What you about to put me through a therapy session?"

"Listen I know you Jeremy. A few months ago Felisha Hardwell slapped you for not calling her after you smashed and you didn't lay one finger on her. You ain't never been the type to hurt someone, especially a female. So what's up?"

Jeremy looked away, arms still crossed, then looked back at Elijah with a stony expression. "Why do you care? Everybody's coming to her aid like she's innocent. She ain't innocent."

Elijah tried not to sound impatient. "I know what you did is bigger than your issue with Zeke cheating on your sister. Just tell me what's going on."

Jeremy's resolve was softening. "I can't."

Elijah moved closer to the glass. "Why?"

"I just can't okay?" Jeremy bit out.

Elijah asked what he had been thinking since he walked into the building. "Did somebody set you up?"