Chapter 41

Ya'll try not to slay my baby boo Symone.

Try to see it from her point of view.

That being said...grab some tissue.

*does evil laugh*

SYMONE's POV

The sound of our apartment's buzzer stirred me from a restless nap.

I opened my eyes just as the last of the daylight faded from the sky.

8:30 PM.

The clock on my beside table blared back at me and I moaned in annoyance. I wish I slept through the night but with each day of bedrest I became more and more uncomfortable and sleep was becoming more and more of a luxury than an actual human response to my being tired.

Footsteps echoed down the hallway and I braced myself for someone opening my door.

Cassandra poked her head in. "Symone, you awake?"

Using my superhuman preggo powers I attempted to sniff the air to see if she had ordered takeout. My parents had stepped out for the evening and Cassandra had become my official babysitter for the last few days. Without my parents there I could probably get Cass to sneak me a spoon or two of stir fry.

I rolled over to see her better. "Did you order take out?"

"No, I didn't." She smirked. "And even if I did the answer is no. There are too many carbohydrates in stir fry. Are you hungry? Mom just bought you some peas, carrots and I think there's fruit—"

"Ugh." I turned back on my other side. "You're not a good sister."

"Sorry kid, I'm under strict orders to keep you on your diet."

Cassandra closed the door and crossed the room to the other side of the bed where I could see her.

"Are you feeling well enough for company?"

I perked up and glanced behind me at the door. "Why?"

Cassandra smoothed down her edges nervously. "Well, there's someone here to see you."

I sat all the way up as my chest began to beat rapidly. "No."

"Uh, yes." Cassandra nodded with wide eyes. "He's downstairs."

Immediately I glanced down at my stained pajamas, clawed at my untamed fro and checked my breath in mortification. "I look crazy!"

"You look fine." Cassandra waved me off.

I narrowed my eyes at her.

"Okay, you look crazy." She shrugged. "But he looks worried. He keeps asking me if you're okay. Symone, how long has it been since you've talked to him?"

I crossed my arms.

"Symone."

"A month."

"A month!" Cassandra shook her head. "Symone!"

I held up my hand. "Don't lecture me."

"No wonder the boy looks like that! And he's on crutches! Did you know he hurt himself?"

I nodded.

"What the hell has gotten into you?" Cassandra sat next to me on the bed.

My heart beat rapidly at the fact that Zeke was only a few moments away. Instinctively I wanted him near me. I wanted to make things right but my mind strayed back to the emails. If I let Zeke in again there'd only be more pain later when I exposed Mrs. Morgan. It was better to keep him away—even if it meant never being with him again. I had to do what was right. Not only for our son, but for Zeke too. Mrs. Morgan had to be stopped.