Chapter 50

SYMONE POV

            I couldn't sit still.

One hand supporting my back and one resting on my belly, I paced while anxiously listening for the sound of my parents to walk in the door. I wanted to talk with them as soon as I'd came home from the dress shop, but they'd already left.

Tonight was date night.

I dreaded the fact that I'd possibly ruin their night with this uncomfortable conversation.

At least I didn't ruin their date.

The day itself would have to be shadowed by what they were about to find out.

I'd taken Cassandra's point into deep consideration and I'd decided to be honest with my parents.

I was going to prom with Zeke.

They'd already made it clear they didn't want Zeke around me unless they were there and I hadn't fought them on it. But if I was going to prom I wanted it to be a prom like everyone else's. I wanted my date to walk up to my door—well hobble, in Zeke's case, and give me a corsage and I'd give him a boutonniere. We'd do the typical prom poses while people took pictures and promise to be home at a reasonable time.

Of course, there'd be some stipulations because I was ready to pop any day now, but we'd modify it accordingly.

I didn't want my parents in attendance.

I just...I wanted normal.

For one night.

The sound of the front door slowed my pacing. I tucked both hands under my belly and listened as the sound of my mother's heels clicked across the floor downstairs and my father's keys jingled into the table tray near the front hallway.

I had to catch them before they started to their room.

This was the first time I had been straightforward with them in a long while and my chest clued me into how nervous I was. My heartbeat had definitely begun to pick up and I struggled to slide on my slippers right before leaving my bedroom.

I descended the stairs to find my parents slow dancing.

I smiled at how intensely my father stared down into my mother's eyes. How their bodies swayed perfectly in sync. Butterflies welled inside of me. I had always admired my parents love for one another. It was beautiful how their love showed itself. I wanted that for myself.

But it seemed the one I had chosen to love was difficult. Zeke and I were two misshapen pieces trying our hardest to fit together and failing every time.

They must've finally heard me as I neared the bottom of the steps because they partially broke apart. My father's arm remained around my mother's waist.

She fit well there.

"Hey baby," My mother was the first to speak. "You're still up?"

I nodded. "Couldn't sleep. How was your date?"

My mother shrugged, and my father smiled. Both of their movements complimented each other naturally. It wasn't that they didn't care to share, there seemed to be a contentment between them where they didn't feel the need to. They'd both clearly been drinking as their eyes were glossy and low with the leisure that only a bottle of wine could give.

"Why couldn't you sleep?" My father reached out to me and pulled me into the fold under his other arm. He squeezed both my mom and me.

This surprised me.

We hadn't really mended our relationship since the cabin and after that it seemed that every time I kept something from him he'd distanced himself from me. The hug was a nice change. I snuggled into him knowing that what I wanted to talk to them about would possibly put distance between my father and I again.