Chapter 46

ZEKE's POV

Or are you mad at yourself?

A day later and Symone's words still caused me to inwardly fume. I'd went over her house to make amends with her and her parents. I hadn't completely succeeded in doing either but after some thought I concluded that it was a start.

"Hey man, my parents are doing some gala thing tonight so my dad's not cooking." Elijah came barreling down the basement steps. "You wanna order out?"

Stretched out on the couch staring up at the bricked ceiling, I slightly lifted my head. "I'm down."

"Cool, I'm thinking about Thai."

I shrugged and rested my head back against the arm of the couch. "I'm cool with whatever you get."

"Cool!" He started back up the steps then stopped. "You good?"

I tilted my head up again. "Yeah man."

He came back down the steps and rested against the door frame. "You talk to Symone?"

"Her phone's broken. She's supposed to get a new one sometime this week."

"When's the next doctor's appointment?"

I reached over beside the couch and picked up the toy basketball on the floor. I tossed it up in the air a few times. I watched as it hit the ceiling and then snatched it out the air every time it fell down towards me. "I'll let you know when she lets me know."

Elijah came and leaned on the back of the couch. "Heard anything from the police?"

I caught the ball and squeezed it in between my palms. "No."

Elijah held his hand out for the ball and I tossed it to him. "Championship pep rally is tonight. You trying to come?"

I looked at my leg and then him." Not in the partying mood."

He tossed the ball back to me. "So this is it huh?"

I went back to tossing the ball up at the ceiling.

"Just you and this couch all day?"

I held onto the ball and shook my head at him. "I'm just not in the mood man."

"You go to physical therapy, school and then you come here and sleep the whole day."

"So?"

Elijah sighed. "It's not healthy."

"Dr. Phil, would you please let me deal with my life how I deal with it?"

"I'm just trying to help."

"Well stop." I tossed the ball away from me. "I'm fine."

Elijah watched the ball hit the wall and then looked back at me. "Coach asks about you all the time. You're ignoring his calls?"

I slowly sat up and gently swung my legs to the floor. "I don't need to talk to Boden."

"I mean why not? He can help you figure out what to do after your leg gets better—"

"I'm not playing ball anymore."

Elijah came around the couch. "What are you talking about?"

"How many people go pro after an injury like this?"

"You played the entire season except for the championships. You can't count yourself out for missing one game."

"I'm going to miss the game."

Elijah shook his head. "I talked to Coach Boden and he said if you finish rehab, get back on a strict diet and hire a trainer then you can still get into a Division I school."