Chapter 7

The sound of keys being mashed under quick and precise finger tips was all that could be heard in the quiet of the room.

This was my sanctuary.

Here I was surrounded by likeminded individuals who were all about treasuring the essence of writing and valuing the publishing of a good story. We all worked hard to ensure the Hawkin became better and better with each publication. Here I could spend hours focused on my screen as I fleshed out new works. More importantly, here there were no eyes filled with disappointment.

But today wasn't a leisure day.

We had several articles that were pressing against all odds to make it to the printer by Friday.

"So we're all in agreement on the final title for the drama club's preview article?" Brea, our editor, called out as she entered the room and closed the door behind her. "And what about the picture of all the members?"

Alex, our photographer, swiveled around in his chair. "I'll head over to take the photo today after school."

Brea nodded. "Do you need one of the cameras?"

He shook his head then reached over to pat his bag. "Nope, I've got my camera today."

She clapped her hands together. "Pre-preparation, I love it. Symone, is that story on student council finished?"

Quickly, I pressed the little print icon in the corner of my computer. "It's printing now."

Brea sauntered over to the printer and snatched the paper from it. She skimmed the article once before she sat it back down on the printer. "There's something missing."

My eyebrows furrowed down in confusion. "I have the purpose of student council, the activities they sponsor and a brief bio on the president and her actions since her election."

"Isn't Amberleigh Finley the president of student council?" Brea questioned.

I nodded.

Brea shook her head. "Then I need a primary source that supports Amber's experience as president."

I crossed my arms. "So then what am I missing?"

"A quote," Brea walked over to her desk. "Right from Amber herself."

My arms tightened around my chest. "That means I'll have to interview her."

She sat down in her chair and immediately started tapping away on her laptop. "Correct."

Alex nudged me. "There's another basketball game today."

My chest swelled as images of Zeke sprung up in my thoughts. "And?"

"The step squad performs during half-time, Amber will be there." He added.

Brea gave Alex a thumbs up. "Excellent," she nodded towards me. "Symone, make it your business to be there and get a quote, please and thank you."

I blinked in disbelief. "By myself?"

Brea pulled her braids into a ponytail. "That isn't a problem, is it?"

I'd worked hard to become a columnist for the Hawkin. In fact I was paying for it right now. If I'd never interacted with Zeke, I could be living my life with worries, but not one of those worries would be a baby. Now that I was here, I wasn't going to give up. Though this position had altered my life in a drastically horrifying way, writing was my passion.

I shook my head. "No, not at all."

For what felt like the hundredth time I squirmed against the wooden bleachers.