Chapter 34

Christina

It was a few minutes past seven when we reached the hotel. A few guests and employees had arrived already, along with Logan and Jonathan.

Sierra hung on Logan's arm in a red-colored evening dress. She looked stunning, as if she had walked out of a photo shoot for a famous label. Her hair was fixed in a French twist, kohl adorned her dark brown eyes, and with a bold red lip color, she was every man's wet dream.

I sighed in disappointment. With Sierra looking like that, I didn't stand a chance before her. Logan surely wouldn't want her out of sight today from how his hand rested on her waist.

Logan looked dapper in a black tuxedo over a white shirt and black slacks. With his hair styled back in a sleek way and his deep brown eyes assessing his surroundings like a predator, he stole away the breaths of all the females in the room.

"I don't understand how someone so beautiful can be so ugly inside," Joan muttered beside me, her eyes fixed on Sierra.

"If she were beautiful from the inside, she would be perfect," I elbowed her, noticing Jonathan approaching us.

Jonathan didn't have a date with him, and it unsettled me. If he was not with someone, it meant he was still hung up on me.

"You are late," he glared at Joan without wasting time.

"I am sorry, there was more traffic than usual," Joan apologized immediately.

Jonathan didn't even acknowledge me, and it was nothing less than a shock for me and Joan. How was that possible? His goal in the past two years had been either humiliating me or seducing me. Ignoring me was not in his dictionary until that day. For Logan tell the truth about warning Jonathan to stay away from me?

Sweat broke out on my palms from the mere thought. If Logan warned men off, it only meant he wanted me for himself. I wasn't sure if I should be happy about that discovery or be terrified. Logan had been too volatile for the past month, and I couldn't predict his intentions from his conflicting behavior.

What did he want from me?

Joan and Jonathan left my side to greet some guests, and I had no choice but to approach Logan, who was busy conversing with a couple, while Sierra stood beside him with a bored expression.

I recognized the couple as Mrs. and Mr. Blackwood. The media mogul who ran the show on the East Coast. He was labeled as the King Maker after successfully making careers of various politicians and equally breaking the careers of others.

I greeted the group as I joined them, and Logan took to himself to introduce me to the couple, "Mr. and Mrs. Blackwood, meet my assistant, Christina Williams."

They greeted me with fake smiles, and I returned them with the same warmth. George stared at my face for a full thirty seconds before he spoke, "Pardon me, but have we met before? You look vaguely familiar."

Before Logan could bestow my background knowledge, I cut into the conversation, "It must be due to my common features."

Logan's mouth pressed into a thin line while Sierra sneered, "Couldn't agree more with you, darling."

"But I think your features are anything but common," Claudia Blackwood opined, "You are stunning."

"Thank you," I didn't have anything to say except thank her with a smile.

One of the reasons I avoided such events was my striking resemblance to my late father. I was sure George Blackwood must have encountered Dad at some point in his life but was unable to link me with him.

I switched to an American accent after I moved to the US,  entirely giving up my British accent to blend in. But I couldn't change my face, and if someone were to recognize me, I didn't even want to imagine anything beyond that. What my life was right then would be a cakewalk if they found me.

A man, probably in his late thirties, joined the group. He had dirty blond hair and empty blue eyes. He was good-looking, but the bags under his eyes and his hollow cheekbones gave him a haunted look. His complexion was sickly pale, and his lips were chapped and discolored from smoking.

"Chase Van Doren," he held out his hand to me for a handshake, and I looked at Logan, puzzled, who had his raging stare fixed on Chase.

"Christina," I slipped my hand into his, and he held it longer than necessary before he lifted it to his mouth and kissed my knuckles.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," I felt ants crawling on my skin from where he pressed his lips.

Logan's jaw clenched, and I saw him fisting and unfisting his free hand. My stomach dipped in worry. The last thing I wanted was to create a scene at the party because of me.

I tried to pull my hand from Chase's hold, but he tightened his grip, squeezing it a little before dropping it. He then turned his attention to Logan, "Long time no see, De La Roche."

"I would rather spend my time at a museum," Logan replied without batting his eyelashes.

Chase chuckled at Logan's reply while I watched them both in confusion. Did they know each other personally? I didn't know Chase by his face, but I knew he was a successful banker. I had done my homework before coming to the party, as instructed by Logan. 

George and Claudia Blackwood excused themselves when they noticed an acquaintance. It only left Logan, Chase, Sierra, and me, not a good combo. Sierra l already looked weary from the slow pace of the event.

"So, Christina, tell me how you know Logan?" Chase inquired.

I was alarmed at his sudden question, and before I could blurt out anything stupid, Logan spoke up, grinding his teeth, "Ms. Williams is my assistant."

"What about Talia? Tired of her already?" Chase taunted Logan.

"Ms. Williams is only a temporary replacement as Talia is on maternity leave," Logan snapped back. It seemed the mention of his assistant enraged Logan.

Chase's face darkened at Logan's reply. What the hell happened between them? Was Logan fucking his assistant, Talia? Even if he was, why did it concern Chase? How did Chase even know Talia?

"I will just catch up with someone I know," Sierra left Logan's side, getting wary of the tension between Chase and him.

I was unable to understand her relationship with Logan. They were fucking each other. I did not doubt it. I saw her blowing him yesterday in his office, but I didn't understand why she stuck around after how Logan treated her.

"Is she your new fuck toy?" Chase asked Logan, staring at Sierra's retreating form.

"What if she is? Why does it concern you?" Logan asked back in a calm tone.

"It doesn't concern me. I only want to ensure Christina is single," Chase smirked wickedly.

I was startled by how quickly the conversation had shifted from Sierra to me. Logan took a threatening step towards Chase, his eyes boring into his, "Stay the fuck away from her," he hissed.

A shiver ran down my spine from Logan's threatening stance and the possessiveness in his voice.

"I knew it," Chase claimed in triumph, "your habit of screwing your assistants wouldn't go anytime soon."

"Fuck off," Logan growled in his face and then turned and stormed away.

Chase kept smirking even after Logan left, and I couldn't help my curiosity.

"What was that about?" I asked Chase, still staring at Logan, who was headed towards the bar with long, angry strides.

"He stole my girl and then dumped her," Chase said with a sad smile.

I felt like someone knocked the air out of my lungs as I stared at Chase, aghast. Was Logan right that he was the monster I created?

By Subscribing on Patreon or Inkitt you can read 46 Chapters ahead. The links are in the Bio.