Chapter 65: Scary Clothes

Lalisa's words made Jeon Hai deeply contemplative. He didn't even spare a thought for Yeri, as his mind was occupied with other concerns. After all, a successful marriage alliance couldn't be established overnight, and the crucial thing was Director Zhang's loyalty, which he was banking on.

This was the first time Mingyu had witnessed his father in such a state. He looked miserable at the banquet and didn't bring up anything regarding Yeri.

Secretly, he gave Lalisa a mental thumbs-up, admiring her astute thinking.

Jeon Hai couldn't stay any longer and had a strong urge to find Director Zhang. He put on a smile and addressed the young guests, "This is a party for young people like yourselves, so I won't intrude any further. Feel free to enjoy yourselves and don't be shy."

After saying this, he stood up, ready to make his exit. Yeri couldn't allow him to leave, or she would surely become the laughingstock of the night. She quickly interjected, "Uncle Jeon, are you leaving already?"

Only then did Jeon Hai realize Yeri's presence. He recalled his previous plan and turned to Mingyu, "I'm entrusting Ri-Ri to your care tonight, as she's a bit shy. Make sure you stick close to her side, and don't let her out of your sight, or else..."

Mingyu understood the unspoken threat in his father's words. He would surely lose his financial support if he failed to comply. He lowered his head and replied, "I understand. You go ahead and handle your matters."

Yeri was oblivious to the deeper intricacies of the Jeon Corporation's internal politics. However, she felt a surge of pride hearing Gu Hai's words.

Bolstered by her confidence, she aimed to ruffle Lalisa's feathers. Upon leaning closer to her, she remarked, "Sister, why didn't you tell me that you're coming as well? I could have prepared a dress for you in advance. Your outfit looks a bit messy."

After delivering this comment, Yeri immediately lowered her head, pretending she had misspoken. Most of the guests invited by Jeon Hai were children of his business associates, not people Yeri was familiar with. She intended to make Lalisa appear inferior in their eyes.

Lalisa regarded her with a half-smile. "It's best not to criticize others for their attire when you're dressed in such bright and flashy colors. Take a look in the mirror, dear. Don't you think you look rather gaudy today?"

In the face of this situation, Lalisa wasn't concerned about her reputation. She had long lost her standing in high society, and she had no intentions of remaining in A City for the rest of her life. Confronted with this situation, she'd rather speak her mind.

Yeri tilted her head slightly, and tears welled up in her eyes. Upon closer inspection, she had even mastered the art of angling her head to prevent her mascara from smudging. She didn't need to worry about ruining her makeup.

However, her tightly clenched fist on the sofa cushion betrayed the anger bubbling within. After hearing Lalisa's critique of her attire had completely infuriated her. Before leaving home, she had been utterly pleased with her outfit, but now, Lalisa's words rendered her choice utterly futile.

Despite her anger, Yeri couldn't afford to display it at such a formal gathering. Instead, she chose to lower her head and feign sadness, hoping to elicit sympathy from the attendees.

Many onlookers noticed Yeri's tears, including a bespectacled and handsome young man who approached her, inquiring, "Miss, what happened? Are you alright?"

Yeri sobbed gently and replied, "It's nothing. It's just that my sister commented on my outfit, saying that I looked somewhat scary."

The young man displayed concern, turned toward Lalisa, and asked, "Are you the sister of the lady over there?"