chpt 12: the new runner

[y/n's pov]

Newt, Minho, Thomas and I are all walking into the medical hut. We walk past Alby, coughing and shivering. Thomas notices me staring and he holds my hand. I feel so bad for him.. but he's been stung. Nothing can save him, it's just a matter of time.

"Jeff, what's going on?" Newt asks in a firm tone, "What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?"

"Hey man, I got my job the same way you did." Jeff says calming newt down.

Thomas and I just stare at the girls lifeless body. I recognise her.. and I'm pretty certain he does as-well. Newt turns to us and looks us up and down.

"Well, do you recognise her?" He asks, he's being really sassy. He's probably overtired, but I spent my whole night running; I'm not being a twat.

"No." Thomas replies

"No, I don't either." I say to newt blatantly lying to his face.

"Really? Because she seemed to recognise the both of you."

"What about the note?" Thomas says, changing the subject.

"Yeah, we'll worry about the note later." Newt replies to him, he seems really annoyed and I don't know why.

"I think you should worry about it now." Thomas claps back.

"We've got enough to deal with at the moment." I mean I guess he's right.

"Newt, he's right. If the box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?" Jeff backs up Thomas.

"No one said that."

"The note said that." I reply and newt just looks at me.

"Let's not jump to any conclusions, we'll just... we'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody is bound to have answers round here." He says still staring at me and then glancing back at the girl.

"Okay." Thomas says and begins to walk away. Minho, newt and I all exchange a look.

"And where are you going?" Newt asks

"Back into the maze." Thomas answers

Minho grabs my arm and we both run out of the medical hut leaving newt with Jeff and that girl. At this point I'm annoyed, I'm tired, I want to go to bed. If things don't go well I actually might loose my shit.

"What is this with you, huh? A death wish?" Minho asks.

"You just got out, and now you want back in?" I question.

"Newt said that no one, apart from y/n, has seen a griever and lived to tell about it. Right? Well, now we have one. You're both telling me you're not even a little bit curious?" He explains...

"Not really, no?" Minho and I say at the same time, I love when we do that, I find it so cool.

Thomas starts to walk off again and this time I stop him.

"So what's the plan?" Minho asks

"You gonna go out and dissect that thing all by yourself?" I say, I don't know what is running through this boys head

"I will if I have to, yeah." He says, "Have the other runners left yet?"

"The other runners quit this morning. They're not in any hurry to get back out there. Why are you?"

"I think it's time we find out what we are really up against." Thomas answers, I admire his curiosity but I cannot be arsed to go back out there.

"Guys whatever you are planning, count me out. I need my sleep, sorry." I say to them