| Words Fail Me |

!! (gn! reader) !!
me after changing the cover even though I'm barely on here *•w•*
this took nearly four months (yea) to complete so enjoy or else I will jump off a bridge (pun not intended) I'm just a tired uni student pls have mercy and leave funny comments, they fuel me. I wanna try to write more on here, I swear I do, just know updates will come, slow! but they'll come!

- in memory, vani

[tw]: cursing, mentions of a lil bit of freakness (aged up), self-doubt and angst

-

Turns out, mental checklists are not always going to be reliable.

You were trembling in the corner of April's small rooftop deck, lips frozen shut except for the occasional laughter and s'mores you snarfed down. Sure, there was a nice blazing, fire pit in the middle of the outdoor courtyard, adding comfort to the summer's occasional cool nights, but nothing compared to the longing you have for the blanket that was left folded on your bed.

Before Leo arrived, you compiled a subjective list of what you were to bring to the hangout and felt like that was enough to remember. However, your boyfriend just had to portal in early to pick you up and, quote, help you in getting ready, unquote (there was no assisting whatsoever, only obscene deeds were done). 

All he had done was distract you and bring you to April's a heated mess. But, you just couldn't pass up on alone time with Leo, for God's sake. For the past couple of weeks, that had been impossible to arrange. In that time, quick check-up messages and replies were all you two could give.

For April and you, adulting wasn't easy and since the invasion a few years back, the Hamatos became well-known vigilantes, fighting crime and kicking ass wasn't just for the sake of the city anymore; the whole damn world would depend on them too. It wasn't until recently when everyone's (mainly April's and yours) schedule had opened up and this s'mores gathering was planned.

As your punishment for Leo's bait earlier, you were left in a quivering condition, clinging onto the slider's arm and hoping nobody noticed.

Across from you, Mikey chokes up on his oozing s'more, the chocolate dripping down his chin. Bursts of laughter fill the crisp summer air.

"And that, folks, is the consequence of adding more chocolate to the s'more instead of giving it the perfect ratio of the three ingredients. Allow me to be the first to say, I told you so," Donnie announces, his body lounging next to you and Leo.

Mikey shoots him a nasty glare and pouts. "No one told you to do so, Donald."

Raph, already beside him, offers him a bundle of napkins as he starts cleaning beneath his brother. "Don's right, Mikey. We all told you from the start. Don't take more than what you can handle!"

Another uproar of laughter is heard, and Mikey huffs.

"Well,...," In a small, intimate space, April is the first to stifle her laughter, her voice taking on a softer tone. "Now we know what happens when you add more chocolate to a s'more."

She throws a small pillow to her younger brother, and he, of course, easily catches it. Within a moment, Mikey's frown is fixed and the spark in his eyes returns, mouth churned into a smile at his sister.

That's the magic of April O'Neil, you think. She somehow, in some way, comforts others with a simple smile and snarky remark.

It's been too long. It's been too long and April still manages to joy back into a conversation, still manages to bring the brothers' foolish personalities back with such a casualty, and yet, here you are--feeling like a stranger among the people you care for most.