CHAPTER SEVENTY SIX

Judy, Steve, Nancy, Eddie and Dustin were going over the plan one last time before they split off for the night

They had already dropped Max, Lucas, and Erica off at the Creel house for their part of the plan. Now they sat parked on the side of the road before they went through the gate.

"Okay," Judy said, "I wanna run through it one more time. Phase one."

"We meet Erica at the playground," Nancy said. "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

"Phase two."

"Max baits Vecna," Steve said. "He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance."

"Phase three?"

"Me and Eddie draw the bats away."

"Four."

"We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair, and," Steve held up a Molotov cocktail, "flambé."

"Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied," Judy said firmly. "Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?"

"Got it," everyone repeated in sync.

The group of five, suited with their makeshift weapons, walked swiftly to Eddie's trailer, trying not to alert anyone in the trailer park of their entry. Whenever Steve got inside, taking off his backpack before he climbed up, Dustin gave him an unreadable look.

"Be careful."

"Thanks, buddy." He put his hand on the rope, beginning the climb. "Here goes nothing." Steve quickly made his way up the rope, flipping down onto the ground. He landed right on his feet, looking back up to everyone at the top of the gate and shrugging before walking to grab the mattress.

"What does he want us to do, applaud?" Judy mumbled sarcastically, earning a stifled laugh from Nancy and Dustin.

"Alright," Steve said as he flopped the mattress down as a launch pad. "Let's go."

Judy pulled her gun off of her shoulders, stepping on Eddie's two hands to help herself up the rope and not giving herself the time to think about the last time she'd tried to go through Vecna's gate. Whenever she flopped back down onto the mattress, she grunted, and Steve stuck his hand out to her.

"Gotcha." Steve pulled her up so close to him that their lips were inches from each other, making them both tense up. They couldn't help themselves from looking into each others eyes. Judy couldn't help the goose bumps that rose across her skin, looking at him so closely. The tips of their nose brushed momentarily as Judy whispered, "Thank you."

"Anytime," he whispered back before going back to the task at hand.

Nancy threw down all of their weapons before they both followed down, and Eddie and Dustin threw their weapons down before falling onto the mattress themselves. Whenever they'd gotten ready to split off, Nancy led Steve out the door, Judy following closely behind. Eddie and Dustin followed, only stopping on the outside of the trailer.