CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

Judy had flown under the radar the entire day

Judy had flown under the radar the entire day. She hadn't seen Nancy at all  which she was grateful for. Judy wasn't sure she could handle any awkward glances from anyone today. Minus the stare down she knew Billy was giving her the entirety of last period, everything seemed to be semi normal until she walked down the hall to get her backpack and leave school. With kids walking back and forth, Judy tried her best to weave in and out, sometimes pushing forcefully against a freshman who didn't know hallway etiquette. But the yank on her arm that pulled her entire body into a dark room caused her to squeal like a bird. Before she could fully scream a hand covered her mouth.

Muzzled, she looked frantically at the perpetrator only to find Steve right in front of her, breathing just as heavy as she was for some reason. "What the shit, Harrington?" She half yelled as he finally removed his hand from her mouth.

"Have you talked to Nancy or Jonathan?" Steve asked without answering Judy.

"What?"

"Have you talked to them?" Steve was somehow annoyed at Judy even though she was clearly still trying to wrap her head around why he had pulled her into what seemed to be the janitor's closet, and covered her mouth so she wouldn't scream.

"What are you so pissy at me for, I haven't done anything." Steve only craned his neck further, looking for the right answer. "I talked to Nancy yesterday but that didn't get anywhere. And I haven't seen Jonathan since yesterday either. Nancy said you told her about Halloween?"

"She said she couldn't remember anything, but she couldn't tell me she loved me."

"Look, I'm not a love guru, but maybe you should let it go. You can get another girlfriend ASAP. I guarantee there's a line of girls waiting for Nancy to kick the bucket."

"You don't get it." Steve shook his head, looking away from Judy and he put his hands on his hips. The small huff of air he released grazed over Judy's face given their close proximity in the small closet they were stuffed into.

"I do get it, Steve. You love her and you don't want to let her go even though you probably should. I know all about that, trust me. But you're the King, Steve. Toughen up." She pushed against his chest with her closed fist, teasing him to try and lighten his mood.

"Oh come on, not you too," he cringed.

"What? That's what you are. You made that name and reputation for yourself."

"I- I know but please, I don't want you calling me that, alright?" He looked pained by Judy's words, like it wasn't something he was proud of. He thought he had changed for the better and didn't want to be known as that since it was a name he got for being an A level douchebag.

"Okay, I won't call you the King." Judy joked just one more time.

"Judy." Steve dead panned.

"Oh my god, Harrington, this isn't the end of the world for you, okay? I know it sucks, but things'll get better." Judy put a hand around his arm and looked at him enthusiastically, trying to show him that things weren't so terrible.