Chapter 9

Chapter 9: The King's Demand

Isabel's POV

The banquet had finally ended, and while some maids were busy cleaning up after the festivities, I found myself in the kitchen, helping the royal chef prepare the king's breakfast.

The aroma of freshly baked bread and sizzling bacon had me almost hungry as Chef Henri worked his magic at the stove. I watched intently, absorbing every detail as he showed me how to plate the food with precision and care.

"Remember, presentation is just as important as taste," Chef Henri said, his eyes twinkling with a hint of mischief. "The king deserves nothing less than perfection."

I nodded and carefully arranged the delicate pastries on the golden tray, making sure each item was placed just so. The thought of serving the king, even in this way, made my heart race, but I was determined to do my best.

As I was finishing the final touches, Chef Henri turned to me with a thoughtful expression. "Isabel, I have a special task for you today."

I looked up, surprised. "What is it, royal chef?"

He handed me the tray with a smile playing at the corners of his mouth. "You must be the one to bring the king's breakfast to his chambers."

My eyes widened in shock. "Me? But why? Isn't there a usual courier?"

Chef Henri placed another plate and forcefully handed me the tray. "The king's valet de chambre came here very early and told us to have 'Isabel' deliver the king's food today."

I blinked in astonishment. "The king requested me specifically?"

Chef Henri nodded. "Indeed, and it’s not something one questions. Now, go on. Don’t keep His Majesty waiting."

Nervousness and curiosity bubbled within me as I took the tray. The heavy door leading out of the kitchen seemed more intimidating than ever. And so with careful steps, I made my way down the corridors whilst keeping the tray steady in my hands.

The closer I got to the king's chambers, the more my heart pounded. Why had he singled me out? Was it because of our encounter last night? I pushed the thoughts aside as I approached the ornate doors guarded by two royal guards.

One who escorted me last night stepped forward and knocked softly before opening the door to announce my presence. "The king's breakfast, delivered by Isabel," he said, and stepped aside to let me enter.

As I walked in, I saw the king seated at a large desk near the window, enjoying the warmth of the soft morning light. His gray eyes lifted from the papers before him and met mine with recognition.

"Your Majesty," I said, dropping into a curtsy before straightening and carefully placing the tray on the small table beside him.

"Thank you, Isabel," he said, his voice calm and composed. "Please, sit."

I hesitated, glancing around to see if he meant for me to join him. The king gestured to a chair nearby and spoke again. "I would like to speak with you."

So I obeyed, although unsure what I was doing there in the first place. I bowed and carefully took a seat. "Yes, Your Majesty?"

He took a sip of his tea, then looked at me thoughtfully. "I wanted to know more about you."

His words made my heart flutter. I was confused and flattered at the same time. How could a king as majestic as him want to know someone as low as me? But even so, I tried to maintain my composure and answered. "I am just a simple palace maid, Your Majesty. There is not much to tell."

"Sometimes, simplicity holds the most beauty," he replied, a gentle smile playing on his lips. A smile so different that it almost scares but excites me at the same time. What was that about?

I took a deep breath and began gathering my thoughts. "Then, ask me anything you want, Your Majesty."

The king's expression softened, and he leaned forward slightly, making the conversation feel more personal. "I have been thinking ever since last night. Your blue eyes, your pale skin, and golden locks... All of those features seemed too uncommon for the people in my kingdom. You can barely see anyone even with lighter hair. And almost everyone's eye colors are dark. But yours... Perhaps... Do you hail from another kingdom? Are you a spy planted here to give away my kingdom's weakness?" King Lucian smirked knowingly, hoping to get the response he wanted from me.

As he expected, I immediately and frantically stood up and bowed as low as I could get in front of him.

How dare I betray the king?!

"Your Majesty! I could never! In all honesty, I was born here in Montebello. I grew up with the people of your kingdom, and I would never dare become my own kingdom's traitor!" I yelled in panic, knowing all too well what would happen next if the king mistakes me for a spy.

He would have my head cut off!

But no. I do not want my life to end that way. My mother... My poor sick mother! I promised her... I...

I was immediately cut off when the king suddenly hummed and spoke. "Why do you look nervous? Your face is draining of color. Get up and settle in your seat." He commanded, and so I did. I sat back like a scolded child with my head down.

But the king was not done yet.

"I do not believe that you are someone I can trust to roam around my kingdom and especially in my palace." He paused as my heart thumped as loud as it could ever be.

"Therefore, Isabel, you are only allowed to sleep closest to my chamber and become one of my ladies-in-waiting."