Chapter 62

Chapter 62: Divide and conquer

"Mother!" Liam cried, reaching out for her. Lucian carefully set him down, and the boy who have missed his mother dearly immediately ran into Isabel's arms, clinging to her tightly.

Isabel hugged him as her tears began streaming down her face. "Liam, my little baby," she whispered, holding him close.

Lucian watched the reunion with an unfamiliar tightness in his chest. He had expected relief, perhaps even satisfaction, but instead, he felt an overwhelming sense of vulnerability.

"Liam, would you like something to eat or drink?" Lucian asked, attempting to coo the child that alarmed Isabel somehow.

The boy looked up at his mother, then back at Lucian. "Your Majesty, I only want to stay with my mother," he said softly and politely.

Lucian nodded, understanding the boy's need for his mother. "Very well," he said. "You can stay here with her." He glanced at Isabel. "If there's anything you need, just let the guards know."

Isabel's expression hardened. "You've taken us by force, Lucian. Don't pretend this is some act of kindness."

The man's face tightened and a flicker of anger was evident in his eyes. "You ran away from me and married another man, I am only taking you back."

Isabel's eyes flashed with anger as well as she answered. She carefully stood up and stepped closed to Lucian, speaking to him almost in a whisper. "You cast me aside and imprisoned me and married someone else. Now, you want me for yourself? Why can't you just leave me alone?!"

Lucian clenched his jaw, trying to control his temper in front of the child. "I know you're angry, Isabel. But believe it or not, I am trying to make amends."

"Oh?" Isabel replied. She hid Liam behind her as her hand kept covering the little boy's ears, her protective instincts flaring. "If you want to make amends, give me back my husband and let us go. You are nothing to me!"

As soon as Lucian heard her words, his frustration and anger flared. He grabbed her hand and yanked her towards him, startling the little boy who stood behind her.

“Why must you always resist me?” Lucian’s voice was low and strained, but the tension in his grip was unmistakable. “Do you think that running away or hiding will change anything?”

Isabel flinched at his touch but held her ground. “You have no right to demand anything from me,” she said through gritted teeth. “You’ve taken everything from me, and now you expect me to forgive you?”

Lucian’s eyes were fierce, but he tried to temper his anger, aware of Liam’s wide, frightened eyes. “I’m not asking for forgiveness, I am the king, I don't ask for forgiveness,” he said, his voice softening just enough. “What I want is for you to return to me while I am asking nicely.”

Liam’s eyes widened with fear as he clung to his mother’s skirt, his small voice trembling. “Mother, don’t make him angry! He is the king!”

Isabel looked down at her son, her heart breaking at the fear in his eyes. She placed a hand on his head and tried to reassure him, though her own voice quivered. “It’s alright, Liam.”

Lucian’s anger faltered at the sight of the boy’s fear. He took a deep breath, trying to steady his emotions. “This boy knows better,” he said, his voice quieter now. “So please me and I would do anything for you. I will do better, for both of you.”

Isabel’s eyes met his with a storm of emotions behind her gaze. “You are the king and yet you have no dignity? You are clearly begging for a mere commoner's attention when you have the queen as your wife.” she spoke, her voice trembling with anger.

His jaw tightened, and he spoke with evident desperation and a near-mad intensity. “You can hate me all you want, Isabel, but I can’t bear the thought of losing you again. I will go mad if I have to endure another year without you. For years... I—” He faltered, his eyes shifting to Liam with a sudden, almost pleading look.

“I do not care if that boy is not mine,” he said urgently. “I will accept him as my own. I will make him royalty if that’s what you wish.”

But Isabel’s fear for her son surged to the forefront. The idea of Liam being entangled with the king, of his life being threatened by the queen’s wrath, was too much to bear.

“No! Leave my son alone!” she cried out, her voice sharp with panic, causing Lucian to step back in surprise.

Lucian’s eyes widened at her outburst, hurt and confusion crossed his face. “I was only trying to offer a way forward, Isabel. I thought it might help us find common ground.”

But Isabel’s eyes only flashed with a fierce protectiveness as she pulled Liam closer. “You think you can offer us anything after everything you’ve done?”

Lucian’s desperation grew, his hands clenched into fists at his sides. “What do you want from me? I’m trying to fix what’s broken!”

Isabel shook her head, her voice trembling. “You can’t fix this with empty promises or grand gestures. You can’t erase the past, and you can’t manipulate us into your schemes.”

Liam looked up at his mother, his eyes still wide with fear. “Mother, why is he shouting? I’m scared.”

Isabel knelt beside him, her own fear barely masked. “It’s alright, Liam. We’re just having a difficult conversation. Everything will be okay.”

Lucian took a step closer, his voice now pleading to the boy. “Listen to me Liam, how would you like to have me, the king as your father?"

The little boy looked at his mother with teary eyes, confusion evident as his lip quivered. "Why mother? Did something happen to father?" He asked completely fearful of the possibility of losing his loved father.

“No... No, of course not. He is perfectly fine,” Isabel reassured, her voice shaking as she held Liam close. But Lucian interjected, his tone sharp and menacing.

“Oh no, my boy. He is not fine.” Lucian’s eyes glinted with a dangerous edge. “I am very angry, and if you and your mother do not obey me, I will ensure that you and your father suffers for it.”

Liam’s eyes widened in terror, his small body trembling in Isabel’s embrace. “Mother, what does he mean?” he whispered, his voice quivering with fear.

Isabel’s heart ached at the sight of her son’s fear. She tightened her grip around him, her eyes meeting Lucian’s with defiance and desperation. “You cold-heartedly bastard, surely you jest.”

Suddenly, Lucian took a step closer, his voice low and insistent. “I’m not making empty threats. I am the king, and I can make things very difficult for those who defy me.”

The little boy clung to Isabel, burying his face against her shoulder. “Please, don’t let him hurt us. I want my father...” he pleaded softly.

Liam's word angered Lucian and without second thought, he yanked the boy away from his mother's hold.

"No!! Mother!!"