Chapter 56

Chapter 56: Shatter Me

Isabel sat by Liam's bed, gently smoothing the covers over him. The room was dimly lit by a soft, flickering candle, casting a warm glow on the walls. Liam, however, was restless, his wide blue eyes darting towards the door every few seconds.

"Mother, where is father?" he asked, his voice tinged with impatience.

Isabel smiled softly and brushed a curl from his forehead. "He is securing the house for the night, my darling. He will be up shortly."

Liam frowned and crossed his arms. "But I want him to tuck me in. I want to say goodnight to him."

Isabel sighed gently, understanding her son's attachment. Deciding to tease her little prince, she pouted dramatically. "Oh, I see how it is. You love your father more than me, do you not?" Liam's eyes widened, and he quickly shook his head.

"No, mother! I love you too!"

Isabel chuckled softly at his earnestness. "You are very much like your father, you know that?" She then ju leaned down to kiss his forehead. "Very well, I shall wait with you until he comes."

Meanwhile, Tristan was downstairs meticulously checking the locks on the doors and windows, ensuring everything was secure. His thoughts drifted to Isabel and Liam, and a small smile played on his lips. Once he was satisfied, he made his way up the stairs, his steps quiet but deliberate.

As he entered Liam's room, his eyes softened at the sight of Isabel and Liam waiting for him. "What is this? My two favourite people still awake?" he said with a teasing smile.

Liam's face lit up. "Father! I was waiting for you. I cannot sleep without saying goodnight."

Tristan walked over to the bed and sat down beside Liam, ruffling his dark curls. "Well, we cannot have that, can we? Goodnight, our little prince. Sleep well and dream of grand adventures."

Liam beamed up at his father. "Goodnight, father. I love you."

Tristan's eyes softened with affection. "I love you too, Liam. Now, close your eyes and rest. Tomorrow will be another exciting day."

Isabel watched the exchange with a heart full of love. As Tristan stood to leave, she whispered to Liam, "See, I told you he would come."

Liam nodded sleepily, his eyes finally beginning to droop. "Goodnight, mother. I love you too."

Isabel kissed his forehead once more. "Goodnight, my sweet boy. I love you more than words can say."

As they left the room together, Tristan wrapped an arm around Isabel's shoulders. "He truly loves me. Do you not find it difficult that he is more attached to me than you?" Tristan asked worried but Isabel only responded with a soft laugh and smiled warmly. "I would not have it any other way."

While they walked towards their room, Isabel glanced up at Tristan, remembering that she needed to refill the storage. "I need to visit the market tomorrow. We're running low on a few supplies."

Tristan thought for a while and nodded. "Yes, I noticed we could use some fresh produce and a few other essentials."

Isabel smiled, leaning her head against his shoulder. "I will take Liam with me. I am sure he will enjoy it. He always loves going to the market."

Tristan chuckled. "He does have a certain enthusiasm for picking out the freshest apples, doesn't he?"

Isabel laughed softly. "Yes, and he always insists on carrying the basket, even though it's almost as big as he is."

They reached their room, and Tristan opened the door for Isabel. "Well, tomorrow we shall go."

"Uh, what about your clinic? Are you to have it closed again? I think we can handle a few baskets on our own."