Chapter 36

Chapter 36: The Ultimatum

As Letecia predicted, Lucian couldn't rest. The guilt and concern gnawed at him until he could no longer ignore it. In the dead of night, he silently slipped out of his chambers, moving through the palace with stealth. His thoughts were consumed by Isabel and the state he had left her in, desperate to see her and assure himself of her well-being.

When he finally reached the clinic, Lucian approached the door anxiously. Just as he was about to push it open, two of the palace physician's apprentices stepped forward from the shadows, blocking his path.

"Your Majesty," one of them began, bowing deeply. "We must insist that you do not enter the clinic."

Lucian frowned with his hand still poised on the door. "And why is that?" he demanded, his voice filled with frustration but with authority.

The second apprentice, a young woman with a calm demeanor, spoke up. "Sire, the clinic is currently being disinfected. The recent illness that struck Lady Isabel has necessitated stringent sanitary measures to prevent any potential spread of infection."

Lucian's frown deepened. "Infection? What infection? Is she not simply exhausted?"

The apprentice nodded. "Indeed, Your Majesty, but exhaustion can weaken the immune system, making one susceptible to other ailments. We cannot risk bringing any illness back to the queen, especially in her condition. The disinfectants we are using are strong and could also harm the queen and the unborn child if brought into proximity."

Lucian's resolve wavered. He knew the importance of keeping Victoria and the unborn child safe. The apprentice's words struck a chord, the logic in them hard to dismiss. "When will it be safe to enter?" he asked, trying to mask his disappointment.

"By morning, Your Majesty," the first apprentice assured. "We are working diligently through the night to ensure the clinic is thoroughly cleaned and safe for any visitors."

Before he could  respond, a voice called out from behind him.

"Your Majesty!" The urgent tone of his attendant startled him, and he turned to see the man rushing towards him. "The Queen is visiting your chambers!"

Lucian's heart sank as his conflicting duties pulled at him. He knew he needed to see Isabel, but the queen's unexpected visit could not be ignored. He glanced back at the door with frustration evident in his eyes.

"Where is she?" he asked, trying to keep his voice calm.

"She is on her way, Sire," the attendant replied, slightly out of breath. "She requested your presence immediately."

Lucian took a deep breath, trying to steady himself. "Very well. I will attend to the queen." He gave one last look at the door before finally making his way back through the palace corridors.

As he arrived at his chambers, he found Victoria already waiting for him. Her face was innocently patient and curious.

"My King," she greeted, her voice soft but with an undertone of expectation. "I hope I am not intruding."

"...Not at all, Victoria," he replied, forcing a smile. "What brings you here at this hour?"

Victoria took a step closer, her eyes searching his. "I couldn't sleep. I thought perhaps we could spend some time together, discuss the future of our family. Also, I have something to ask of you." She placed a gentle hand on her growing belly. His heart ached at the thought because he knew he needed to be present for Victoria and their unborn child, but the thought of Isabel suffering alone tore at him.

Yet, he still reached out, taking Victoria's hand in his."Of course, my queen," he said. "Let's talk."

As they sat together, Victoria's words washed over Lucian, but his mind kept drifting back to Isabel. He could not shake the image of her pale, unconscious face from his thoughts. Victoria noticed his distraction, her eyes growing cold. She took a deep sigh, the sound startling Lucian.

"My king, are you thinking about another woman? Perhaps... that servant named Isabel?" Victoria asked, her voice tinged with annoyance, though she kept a smile that did not reach her eyes.

Lucian was caught off guard, his eyes widening in shock but immediately recovers. He did not expect such a direct question. "Victoria, I—"

"I know, Lucian," she interrupted, her tone icy. "I know of your affair, and I am greatly furious about it." She chuckled bitterly, suddenly standing and turning her back to him.

"As your queen, I feel threatened by her presence. If you do not want this controversy to reach the ears of the court, make sure to do something about it. I am with your child, my king. The future of this kingdom rests within me. Whatever I demand will be given. So think about it... thoroughly." Her voice was a warning, each word laced with threat.

Lucian felt insulted and outraged by her words. As king, he immediately reacted. "Victoria! You dare threaten your king?!"

"Oh no, my king," she replied, turning her head slightly, her eyes gleaming with a dangerous light. "It is not you I am threatening. I have no such power as you are the king. But I absolutely have the power to threaten someone other than you."

Lucian's eyes widened in shock and fear as he realized the implication of her words. "Victoria, you wouldn't—"

"Wouldn't I?" she cut him off, her smile now a cruel twist. "Isabel's life is at my mercy, Lucian. If you truly care for her, you will heed my warning. Remove her from this palace, from your life, or I will ensure that she suffers."

Lucian's heart pounded, his mind racing with the gravity of her threat. He knew Victoria well enough to understand that she was more than capable of following through.

"Victoria, please," he began, trying to find a way to appeal to her. "Isabel is no threat to you or our child. She is merely a servant—"

"She is more than that to you," Victoria snapped, her patience thin. "And that makes her a threat. This is not a request, Lucian. This is an ultimatum. Choose wisely." She added and left his chambers angrily.

Lucian's world seemed to tilt on its axis as he realized the full extent of his predicament. Victoria's cold gaze left no room for doubt—Isabel's life depended on his decision. He had to act quickly, and carefully, to handle this situation.